Ubuntu lucid does not boot after update to 2.6.32.33.

Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Ubuntu lucid does not boot after update to 2.6.32.33.
# 1  
Old 07-18-2011
Ubuntu lucid does not boot after update to 2.6.32.33.

Hi all,

I am using ubuntu 10.04 x64, kernel 2.6.32.32. Yesterday I installed updates to 2.6.32.33 and rebooted the system today. Since then, the system is not booting up and is throwing the following message:

Code:
Alert /dev/disk/by-uuid/<disk_id_here> does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.13.3 (Ubuntu 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu11) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _

Right now I am logged in to 2.6.32.32 (recovery) mode. Before this could boot up, I had selected 'Update grub bootloader' option. After that, I selected 'resume [ resume normal boot ]'. I got into a shell, logged in, and startx.

Can anyone please tell me what has happened and how can I get my system up & running fine again?

Many Thanks.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Ubuntu desktop RAID1 boot problem.

Hello, I installed ubuntu desktop just recently in aim to create a RAID1 configuration using software RAID MDADM. I have the following configuration as fdisk -l reports: Disk /dev/sda: 223,6 GiB, 240057409536 bytes, 468862128 sectors Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reol
5 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Unable to boot Ubuntu server 15.10

Hi; I had Windows Server 2003 and performed a fresh Ubuntu Server 15 installation. After installation, Ubuntu server not booting I guess there is boot problem conflicting with my old Windows Server. This is my pastebin: http://paste.ubuntu.com/13851828/ Any help to start my new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

Copy existing Ubuntu to boot from USB

Hello all, I am looking for a way to copy the existing Ubuntu server 12.04 to a USB (with all the packages and such) and make it boot from the USB. I have seen other threads about copying the CD image to the USB, which is not exactly I am looking for. Before I start diving into anything I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Cannot find ubuntu on boot up

My brother (naughty) reloaded windows 7 on my computer and now I can not boot into linux. It now goes straight to win 7. What maybe wrong and can it be fixed. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: humphreyvn
7 Replies

5. Boot Loaders

Using GRUB to control boot order for lucid, hardy n XP

Hi All, I have 2 portable HDDs - both 500 Gb. I had been booting lucid from a USB HDD1. In my laptop, I have a 100Gb disk - dual boot Windows XP and hardy. Until now, the boot order allows me to boot into either of these easily. Today I did these changes: 1. Replicated lucid on HDD1 to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: morningSunshine
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing centos dual boot with ubuntu

I have installed ubuntu desktop on my hard drive and I gave it all the hard drive. Now I want to repatriate the hard disk and give half of it to anther ext4. How do I do that? Can I do it fron with in the ubuntu? Second when I install the centos, how can I make to recognize the ubuntu and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Ubuntu 10.4 Boot Loader Option

Hi, I am using Ubuntu 10.4 and I want to change the boot loader option to boot Windows 7 by default. Every time I update Ubuntu some extra lines appears at the boot menu. I want to remove them also. Please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dearanik
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bad upgrade to 8.10 and ubuntu doesn't boot afterwards.

at the end of October i upgraded the distro to 8.10 at first it seemed fine until i restarted my machine the boot seqence started i logged in after that nothing? tried booting again and the same thing happened did i do something wrong during the upgrade to 8.10 did everything the computer asked me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksnovice
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
WHAT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)