Reading website from UNIX

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading website from UNIX
# 1  
Old 10-28-2016
Reading website from UNIX

Right now we have a PowerShell script to read a website (it ends with .del) and send it to a SCO Unix computer, but would like to be able to get it with a script when the website is updated.

Is there a way to use ftp for this?

TIA
# 2  
Old 10-28-2016
You should use either curl or wget .
If you're not allowed to install such software, you should try perl with LWP.
See: A Simple way to download many web pages using Perl

Last edited by blastit.fr; 10-28-2016 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: typo
This User Gave Thanks to blastit.fr For This Post:
# 3  
Old 11-04-2016
Thank you. It looks like our Unix machine has only limited access to the internet as I couldn't even download from our company's website so it looks like we will be using a PowerShell script to download it, then upload it to Unix.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Best Linux/UNIX-based website hosting service?

I'm currently on a shared server, with a fairly-well-known hosting provider, which has gotten progressively worse over the years, and it's time to switch to someone else. I know there are LOTS of providers out there whose infrastructure is Linux/UNIX based (actually, I'm not aware of any that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markolinux
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading value from sqlplus in UNIX

I have a unix shell script that calls two Select Queries using sqlplus as shown below. more extract.sh result=$(sqlplus -s usr/swd@myhost_sid @/tmp/SELECT_QUERY.run) more @/tmp/SELECT_QUERY.run SELECT PROBLEM_TYPE, COUNT (*) FROM BATCH WHERE UPPER (STATUS) = 'NEW' AND PROB_TYPE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

feasibility of opening a website link from unix and get a response in the form of xml or html

i just wanted to know whether is it possible to open a website link and get a response in the form of xml or html format... the website is of local network... for example something like this wget http://blahblah.samplesite.com/blachblahcblach/User/jsp/ShowPerson.jsp?empid=123456 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script to read the XML file from Website

Hi Experts, I need a unix shell script which can copy the xml file from the below pasted website and paste in in my unix directory. http://www.westpac.co.nz/olcontent/olcontent.nsf/fx.xml Thanks in Advance... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani333
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file reading

i have a directory that has n files starting with ABC_00x.txt and ABC_00x.txt where x is the integer number. i want to read the contents of each file and write it into a log file. can somebody help me in writing the shell script in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkca
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Practice Website

Hi , If somebody knows, Please let me know where can I practice Unix commands and Shell scripts Online. I know www.cyberspace.org. But its very slow. Is there some website which is very fast. Even I have heard there are some websites where you pay just 2-3 dollors a month and connection is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satgur
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

file reading in unix

Hi , I need to read line by line from a file. Can u please tell me the most efficient way to do it. SInce i will be reading more than 1000 files in my program. i am trying the following options : 1. nawk option nawk'{ print $0 }'files.temp 2. filecount=`cat files.temp | wc -l`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepthanraj
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix recommended reading

Hello I was wondering if anyone had a Unix book recommendation. Just one book, that can give me a good foundation in Unix and has plenty of hands on exercises to follow along with on my Unix terminal? Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vedder191
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix on my website...

Hello eveybody! I'm 15mins old (in Unix years that is!) I hope this isn't a stupid question.... Is it possible to have a unix forum on my site? I've seen other sites with forums similar to the unix one. How do I got about doing this? Thankyou. Happy12:D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: happy12
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question