Help needed 'Segv'

Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Help needed 'Segv'
# 1  
Old 05-29-2012
Help needed 'Segv'

Red Hat Enterprise 4.5 (32 bit)

In strace we see "unexpected reloc type 0x38" What does that code 0x38 mean?

Code:
mprotect(0x59a000, 42229760, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE) = 0
writev(2, [{"startsap", 8}, {": ", 2}, {"error while loading shared libra"..., 36}, {": ", 2}, {"/opt/sap/sap.lib.so."..., 36}, {": ", 2}, {"unexpected reloc type 0x38", 26}, {"", 0}, {"", 0}, {"\n", 1}], 1
0) = 113
exit_group(127)                         = ?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags, thanks!

Last edited by zaxxon; 05-30-2012 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: code tags
# 2  
Old 05-29-2012
sigsegv doesn't mean much on its own. You need to see the context to fix it.
# 3  
Old 05-29-2012
agreed, but im more interested in "unexpected reloc type 0x38" What does that code 0x38 mean?
# 4  
Old 05-29-2012
It means the loader knows nothing about this particular relocation type, i.e. 0x38 is undefined. Usually due to different tool chains or libc versions.
# 5  
Old 05-30-2012
Thanks fpmurphy.
Do we have any official document to read about this code 0x38 ?

Last edited by Sunusernewbie; 05-30-2012 at 02:22 AM..
# 6  
Old 05-30-2012
Examine the various ELF headers (start with elf.h) to obtain a list of valid relocation codes (typically R_*) for your particular architecture.
# 7  
Old 05-30-2012
@Sunusernewbie
Since you had so many answers already, I am not closing this thread, but keep in mind the following notice. I will change the posts subject and remove the word "Urgent". Also checkout to use code tags next time you are posting code, data or logs etc. There is a link in the moderator comment in your initial post with a tutorial how to use them.

----------------

Everyone at the UNIX and Linux Forums gives their best effort to reply to all questions in a timely manner. For this reason, posting questions with subjects like "Urgent!" or "Emergency" and demanding a fast reply are not permitted in the regular forums.

For members who want a higher visibility to their questions, we suggest you post in the Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Forum. This forum is given a higher priority than our regular forums.

Posting a new question in the Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Forum requires forum Bits. We monitor this forum to help people with emergencies, but we do not not guarantee response time or best answers. However, we will treat your post with a higher priority and give our best efforts to help you.

If you have posted a question in the regular forum with a subject "Urgent" "Emergency" or similar idea, we will, more-than-likely, close your thread and post this reply, redirecting you to the proper forum.

Of course, you can always post a descriptive subject text, remove words like "Urgent" etc. (from your subject and post) and post in the regular forums at any time.

Thank you.

The UNIX and Linux Forums
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed

HI All, I am doing a mini project following are the requirement 1. end user will connect to the system via ssh 2. all the key board inputs should be captured and based on "enter" it should send to an argument to another script 3. control + y, control + x should be ignored Please provide me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramukumar
0 Replies

2. Programming

Signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address) in _memcpy at 0xff0b07c0

Hi, I am unable to copy the cursor value into character variable which is defined in nested structure by pointer. typedef struct aaa { unsigned char device_type; unsigned char encrypt; unsigned short rec_len; } ABC; typedef ABC *Pabc; typedef struct def { ABC... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gthangav
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address)

Hello i ve got the following error on a C servor. signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address) when running in dbx program terminated by signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address) 0xff1d5cb4: srch_dir+0x0154: cmp %o1, %o0 Current function is _log 533 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumuri
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with HUP and SEGV.

Hello - I need to know the detail of HUP and SEGV. I know HUP is Hangup and can be use to kill a Unix login session remotely by sending a hangup signal to the process running the login session. Could someone tell me in detail prupose of HUP and SEGV (segmentation violation)? I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: namasteall2000
1 Replies

5. AIX

Aix xlc interesting SEGV on exit

Hello all, One of the application we port to Aix from linux Segmentation faults when it exits. Here is part of backtrace of SEGV: (dbx) where splay(??, ??, ??) at free_y(??, ??) at free_common(??) at .... exit(??) at ... Application seem to perform everything expected well and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: qrio.qrio
1 Replies

6. IP Networking

Help needed

Hi, Can anyone please tell me where I can get the small projects with source code based on client-server programming using sockets in unix :confused::confused::confused: Thanks in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address) in _malloc_unlocked at 0xfe1d44ac

When i run a program in sun solaris i got core dumped with an error message as follows... signal SEGV (no mapping at the fault address) in _malloc_unlocked at 0xfe1d44ac 0xfe1d44ac: _malloc_unlocked+0x022c: ld , %o3 Current function is GetEDBInfo 360 EXEC SQL (dbx) where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noufal
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

little help needed..

hi everyone i'm a noob trying to learn unix language.. but seems like i got no leads on how to start.. i'm playing with the 'ps' command.. i'm trying to show the pid, ppid, username, command, cpu utilization (in desc order), process start time and process status.. all in a command.. am i able... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hilofat
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed

Hi All, I need help in writing a script. I need a script that takes a name as a parameter and executes the follwoing steps. The name will be like BUDGET01_BARE_DLY_YYYYMMDD, BUDGET02_BARE_DLY_YYYYMMDD etc. The YYYYMMDD represent today( systemdate). This names have to be passed as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
2 Replies

10. Programming

Will we get SEGV if we try to “delete []” un-initialized integer pointer variable.

I have a class with an integer pointer, which I have not initialized to NULL in the constructor. For example: class myclass { private: char * name; int *site; } myclass:: myclass(....) : name(NULL) { ..... } other member function “delete “ the variable before... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshreddi_ps
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question