kernel functions issue!

Operating Systems Linux kernel functions issue!
# 1  
Old 09-30-2008
kernel functions issue!

Hello All,

I'm new to linux programming and this is my first post.I am porting ethernet driver from Linux2.4 to Linux2.6 for Xscale, after modifications I am able to install the driver.
Now when i assign the address to my device using ifconfig, kenerl is going to panic. Stack trace is showing it is due to NULL pointer dereference in recalc_sigpending(). Replacing it by signal_pending(current) saves that. I could not figure out te difference, since both will ultimately access only one kernel data structure i.e. current.
Could anyone please throw light onto it?

I have given relevant details hopefully, but if some important information is missing, please point out. I would improve in my subsequent posts.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute functions or initiate functions as command line parameters for below requirement?

I have 7 functions those need to be executed as command line inputs, I tried with below code it’s not executing function. If I run the ./script 2 then fun2 should execute , how to initiate that function I tried case and if else also, how to initiate function from command line if then... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
8 Replies

2. Ubuntu

How to run kernel functions in a separate core?

Hello Friends, I am using Ubundu. I want to know how to run kernel functions in a separate core? I know about Taskset and it supports only for the application. Do anybody know any command (or) have any idea about how to do it? Please help me Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reksss
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Compilation Issue

I have installed ubuntu 11.04 on my system. After this when I used to give uname -r it showed me kernel version as 2.6.38. Now I had downloaded kernel 2.6.34.12 from kernel.org and installed it using the following steps: make make modules make modules_install make install This created... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

4. Programming

can a linux kernel module call libc functions?

can a linux kernel module call libc functions, such as printf(), strcpy(), etc...? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
9 Replies

5. Programming

A system hang issue in porting an old fs to kernel 2.6.32.*

Hi, I ported a file system from Kernel version 2.6.18.* to 2.6.32.46 as VFS implementation has changed and prepare_write/commit_write are replaced by write_begin/write_end pairs. Implemented the feature by writing a wrapper for write_begin and write_end and calling original functions for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen_218
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Export functions in kernel module to user Programs

Hi all, I just started working on kernel modules. One query i'm not able to resolve how i can use call any of my function(take example testfunc() ) defined in my loadable kernel module (take example : test.ko) I want to export kernel module functions to user programs. Consider i have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: er.tarun.9986
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Issue with kernel patch installation...

I tried to install the kernel patch 118855-36 in my x86 machine which has Solaris 10 installed. Find below the error message.... #patchadd 118855-36 Checking patches that you specified for installation. Done! Approved patches will be installed in this order: 118855-36 Executing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paventhan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kernel functions issue!

Hello All, I'm new to linux programming and this is my first post.I am porting ethernet driver from Linux2.4 to Linux2.6 for Xscale, after modifications I am able to install the driver. Now when i assign the address to my device using ifconfig, kenerl is going to panic. Stack trace is showing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineykr
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

kernel compilation: ncurses issue

Hi, While trying to build the linux kernel - 2.6.24.2, i get the following error message during initial phase(make menuconfig) : scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/dialog.h:32:20: error: curses.h: No such file or directory <=== In file included from scripts/kconfig/lxdialog/checklist.c:24: It seems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amit4g
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

New kernel Issue

root@pr # iptables -L modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables iptables v1.2.8: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?) Perhaps iptables or your kernel... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant_ohol
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question
select_wakeup(9r)														 select_wakeup(9r)

NAME
select_wakeup - General: Wakes up a kernel thread SYNOPSIS
void select_wakeup( sel_queue_t *selq ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies a pointer to a sel_queue structure. DESCRIPTION
The select_wakeup routine wakes up a kernel thread that is suspended while waiting for an event on the specified device. A user-level process can use the select system call to cause the process to be suspended while waiting for an event to happen on a device. For example, a graphics application may issue a select call while waiting for mouse or keyboard input to arrive. In this case the process would issue the select system call, which would indirectly call the graphics driver's select routine (through the driver's select entry point in the dsent table) to determine if any input is available. If input is available, the select call may return immediately. If no input is cur- rently available, the graphics driver would suspend the process until input arrived. For this example, when the graphics driver has received input (typically through its interrupt handler), it causes any processes suspended from calling select to continue by calling the select_wakeup routine. This causes any process currently suspended on the select channel (as specified by the selq argument) to resume. RETURN VALUES
None SEE ALSO
Routines: select_dequeue(9r), select_dequeue_all(9r), select_enqueue(9r) System Calls: select(2) select_wakeup(9r)