Scuba Divers on the Site?

The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Scuba Divers on the Site?
# 1  
Old 04-12-2010
Scuba Divers on the Site?

Hey!

I used to dive a lot and got my PADI Open Water Diver certification many years ago. Now, I'm thinking about getting back into diving and taking a PADI Advanced Open Water diver course after a few fun refresher dives.

Any divers on the site?
# 2  
Old 04-13-2010
I got a NAUI Openwater II cert in college. I really only needed one credit to graduate so I took a SCUBA class. My brother was a professional diver at the time so I got all the gear for the class for free. Anyways, I never thought I'd need the card again until I went to St.John USVI and went on several dives. Once I got into the water all the things I learned in class came back to me and I had a great time!
# 3  
Old 04-14-2010
Me!

BSAC Trained & Also TDI Advanced Nitrox & Deco Procedures.
Been diving since 96.
Usually Off the west wales coast.

Check out http://www.yorkshire-divers.com one of the largest diving forums in the UK. Although UK based has a world wide membership with a few in your area no doubt.
pop in & say hi (you'll be buddied up and back in the water in no time)

:-)

Nick

Last edited by Celtic_Monkey; 04-14-2010 at 04:35 AM..
# 4  
Old 04-14-2010
Thanks for the replies.

I've been reviewing the PADI Open Water Diver DVD, thanks to a friendly Englishman who owns and dive shop and verified by (antique) PADI Open Water certification card. He was so helpful and spent a lot of time with me and recommended a fun dive before working on Advance Open Water certification. He said that since I was already certified as an Open Water diver, there was no need to take that course again.

However, since I've not really dived in nearly 10 years, I thought I would take the Open Water class again, just to be "super comfortable" with all the basics again; even though I don't have to take the test again since I hold a certification card.

I'm going to do this in Thailand, perhaps starting as early as next week after the crazy Thai new years holidays with water fights everywhere! Sometimes I think I should work toward an instructor certification, just for fun, not to really teach.
# 5  
Old 04-14-2010
Glad to hear that your enthusiastic about getting back into the water.

Not sure i'd recommend doing the open water course again,particulary as you're already qualified, but i'd certainly recommend you find a friendly local instructor that's willing to accompany you on a few shallow dives.

take your time & You'll pick it back up quit easily. How many open water dives do you have?

as i said pay a visit to YD the membership is broad and worldwide, i'm sure there will be a few in your area.
# 6  
Old 04-14-2010
I've done around 30 dives since 1982, but stopped around 10 years ago when I was busy working. Plus I used to have a bit of trouble clearing my left ear (sinus problems, allergies). Most of the 30 dives have been in shallow water, less than 30 meters, as I prefer the "colorful world" versus going deep where the colors are absorbed in the water.

You recommended the same thing as my English Divemaster friend, who said just do a few easy, shallow dives with his instructors and then go for the Advanced certification.

But... for some reason, I feel like going through the drills and skills in the pool again, LOL Smilie

Quote:
Edit, actually, I logged most of my 30 dives in the 80s and less than a handful in the 90s and maybe only 1 since 2000 or so, and I was not as comfortable in the water as before (on my last dive)... so I am leaning toward pool training again, LOL
# 7  
Old 04-22-2010
Completed two boat dives yesterday. Starting PADI Advanced Open Water class soon.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

IPSec Openswan Site to Site VPN - Big Pain

Hi @all, I try to connect 2 LANs with IPSec/Openswan LAN 1: 192.168.0.0/24 LAN 2: 192.168.1.0/24 This is my Config: conn HomeVPN # # Left security gateway, subnet behind it, nexthop toward right. left=192.168.1.29 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bahnhasser83
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Does cisco 1921 router support site to site VPNs using IPSec?

Q: "Does Cisco 1921 router support,, act as an endpoint for, site to site VPNs using IPSec? If so, how many? " A: If you get the Cisco 1921/k9 with the security services bundle then it will have built in security features. Cisco, typically includes IP Sec tunnels I believe as part of that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ayaerlee
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

How to establish site to site vpn - Linux machine and cisco asa?

Hi, I am trying to establish vpn between my linux server and cisco asa at client side. I installed openswan on my cent os. Linux Server eth0 - 182.2.29.10 Gateway - 182.2.29.1 eth1 - 192.9.200.75 I have simple IPtables Like WAN="eth0" LAN="eth1" (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

port access to site to site VPN

Setup a site to site VPN between two cisco routers. One of the site locations is unable to access ports such as https://example.com:9001 How do I let them go into port 9001? They can ssh, ftp, telnet and everything else. Is this a VPN issue or ACL access issue? I put permit ip host... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: photon
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question