mkvg fails

Operating Systems AIX mkvg fails
# 1  
Old 04-20-2005
mkvg fails

# mkvg -y temp_vg hdisk5
0516-1254 mkvg: Changing the PVID in the ODM.
0516-1207 mkvg: An invalid physical volume ID been detected on hdisk5.
0516-862 mkvg: Unable to create volume group.

???
What do I do? AIX 4.3.3
I have seen something like this before but I don't remember the solution...
# 2  
Old 04-22-2005
I seem to remember having a simular issue which was solved by manually telling the disk it had a PVID:
# chdev -l hdisk2 -a pv=yes

You probably want to check what it is set to now using lspv or
# lsattr -l hdisk2 -E
# 3  
Old 04-25-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by timov
I seem to remember having a simular issue which was solved by manually telling the disk it had a PVID:
# chdev -l hdisk2 -a pv=yes

You probably want to check what it is set to now using lspv or
# lsattr -l hdisk2 -E

Thank you.
It would have probably worked. But I fixed the problem with different approach. I figured, that the pvid was 'null'
Then I realized that the disks were not yet actviated when I created the RAID 5 array. I removed the array the recreated it, and it started working. And it has a PVID now Smilie

I will file your more elegant suggestion for future reference Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

A solution to the mkvg failure when adding iSCSI disks to AIX.

Previous forum threads have noted that AIX cannot use iSCSI disks because it fails when trying to add them to a volume group using mkvg. The failure is caused by AIX's use of the SCSI "WRITE AND VERIFY"(0x2e) command which some iSCSI targets do not support. We experienced the same problem using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garethr
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

mkinitrd fails

hi, i´ve been the last 48 hours with this issue.... after clone another system to a new one with lvm, the last step is mkinitrd. i execute it and it finish, but some errors are sent to stderrr. /sbin/mkinitrd: line380: gawk: command not found Traceback (most recent call last) File... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
0 Replies

3. Programming

When execl fails in C

when execl fails using the command lss, it doesnt go into the next line execl("/bin/sh", "/bin/sh", "-c", command, NULL); perror("execl failed"); exit(127); for some reason the child process just stops and also the parent process also stops so the line after the line that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
3 Replies

4. AIX

mkvg on iscsi disk won't work (6.1)

Hi All, Recently I'm taking my first steps in AIX, initially with no real issues. Until now, off course... I hooked up a couple of iSCSI disks to the system, with a RHEL5 machine running tgt on the other side. When running cfgmgr after initial configuration, I got an error: # cfgmgr -l... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.aart
4 Replies

5. Programming

system() fails

Hi, I have the following code which fails with return value 1. sprintf(tmp, "rm -rf %s/* 2>/dev/null\n", dest); rc = system( tmp ); rc is 1 The files exist and the paths are correct. I can do a manual copy but the application fails. All the calls to system() function fail with the same... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mspaper
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pkg_add fails

Hi, I have created a package on a 64 bit FreeBSD machine. when i install this (on another 64 bit FreeBSD machine )i get the following error : tar: Skipping pathname containing .. pkg_add: tar extract of /home/vcr/testpackage.tgz failed! pkg_add: unable to extract '/home/vcr/testpackage.tgz'!... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: HIMANI
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

fgrep fails...!?

Hi all, I need to transport a number of files from one server to other. I like to ensure the integrity using file checksum values. The action plan is, 1. create the list of checksum values for all the files using cksum command in source server. 2. Transfer all the files including the file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sethu
5 Replies

8. AIX

SCP fails sometimes

Hi, I got a unix script which copies a file from my AIX machine to a file server using SCP command. I am calling this script 3 times in my process after a time interval say 5mins. My issue here is like most of the time its not sending the file at the first time run while other 2 will work fine.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinc
10 Replies

9. Programming

while vc++6 succeeds, g++ fails. ???

My code is at: http://rafb.net/p/E82U3C73.html It is a concept sample. I desperately tried to compile it with g++. To my surprise (in vmplayer/ win2k) vc++6 succeeds to compile it. I'm in very doubt. I used RedHat WS 4 , g++-3.4 and Debian Etch, g++-4.1 Comment this please!! mihai (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihk
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

at command fails

hi, all the user on my machine can't launch at job anymore. they all got the message "error in message send" each time they launch something using the at command. i tried to empty the job queue but the error message is still there. What can I do ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a329743
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question