Modify awk statement

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modify awk statement
# 1  
Old 01-24-2013
Modify awk statement

how do i modify the following:

Code:
echo "jaba law welcome no jaba law sorry now jaba law" | awk '{s+=gsub(/jaba law/,"jaba law")} END {print s}'

so that it shows me the actual phrase it found matching the strings i specified?

something like:

Code:
jaba law jaba law jaba law

# 2  
Old 01-24-2013
Not sure this will work on all sed versions, but try (inverting the meaning of fields and field separators):
Code:
$ echo "jaba law welcome no jaba law sorry now jaba law" | awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="jaba law"} {$2=" ";$3=" "}1'

# 3  
Old 01-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
Not sure this will work on all sed versions, but try (inverting the meaning of fields and field separators):
Code:
$ echo "jaba law welcome no jaba law sorry now jaba law" | awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="jaba law"} {$2=" ";$3=" "}1'

this could work. how can i use it on something lke this.

Code:
echo "jabalaw--sony--4444 marykate--toshiba--244444 mark--sanyo--3334343"

notice how each is separated by a space. how do i grab the section that's for marykate and then show only that section?

meaning,

if i run:

Code:
echo "jabalaw--sony--4444 marykate--toshiba--244444 mark--sanyo--3334343" | awk or sed or egrep "marykate"

i would like to get the whole thing thats just for marykate, so in this case it'll be:

Code:
marykate--toshiba--244444

another example:

Code:
echo "jabalaw--sony--4444 marykate--toshiba--244444 mark--sanyo--3334343" | awk or sed or egrep "mark"

in this case, i'd like to get back:

Code:
mark--sanyo--3334343

# 4  
Old 01-24-2013
Code:
awk '{ for(N=1; N<=NF; N++) if ($N ~ P) print $N }' P="^mark-"

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:
# 5  
Old 01-24-2013
This is entirely different from your first request! Nevertheless, try
Code:
$ echo "jabalaw--sony--4444 marykate--toshiba--244444 mark--sanyo--3334343" | awk '/^mark/' RS=" " 
mark--sanyo--3334343

Last edited by RudiC; 01-24-2013 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Typo
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify csv-files with awk

Hello everyone! I have thousands of csv files I have to import into a Database table. As usually the files aren't perfect. For example they have a different number of columns and some weird columns. The second problem is, that I have to add 3 parts of the filename into 3 rows in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: elRonaldo
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk modify string

Hi Guys, i world like to do the following with awk, i have the the complete username example in a file a have some names Mario Rossi John Doe i would like to convert this name in this format from file with awk Mario,Rossi,"Mario Rossi ",m.rossi_ext@mydomain.com,$TRUE, John,Doe,"John... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify xml using sed or awk

Hi All, I want to modify(changing the status from "on" to "off" status of Stage-element value from the below xml file using sed or awk: File Name: global.xml <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <config> <widget> <name>HTTP-POOL</name> <attributes> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wamqemail2
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify text file using awk

I have text file with lines as shown here. Each row has 11 columns separated by tab. In each row, i want to split the 8th column such that the output should look like shown below. Here value in the 9th column is DP value and in the 10th column is MQ value followed by the values after resource.EFF=.... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehar
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

modify awk

awk "BEGIN {if($PERCENT<$WARNING) {print \"OK\" ; exit 0} else if(($PERCENT>=$WARNING) && ($PERCENT<$CRITICAL)) {print \"WARNING\" ; exit 1} else if($PERCENT>=$CRITICAL) {print \"CRITICAL\" ; exit 2} }" how can i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify an XLS file with Awk

Hello, I have 2 files. One has a list of serial numbers: 12345_7 2345_9 35454 4759:1 PEP8794 The other is an excel file, with multiple columns, separated by tab: 12345_7 ... ... .. .. .. .. .. 2345_9 ... ... .. .. .. .. .. 35454 ... ... .. .. .. .. .. 4759:1 ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk can't modify the input file ??

Hi * I've just wanted to ask you if it's possible to modify the input file by using awk. Let me explain what I need: I need to change the value $4 from "defaults" to "nodev" in my text file. I've tried to use a string function called "sub" and it works. But I can't figure it out how to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinp111
6 Replies

9. Linux

Modify expect script with control statement

Ok, so I have this script that was provided to me by one of the posters on this site. This script seems to be perfect. However, since this is a telnet script, i need to add an if then statement to it but dont know how to do it. What i want to do is to have this script spit out a certain... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

modify file using awk

I have a file, a.asc which is generated from a shell script: -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- Version: PGP 6.5.8 qANQR1DBwE4DR5PN6zVjZTcQA/9z5Eg94cwYdTnC7v+JUegQuJwHripqnyjFrEs/ejzKYCNmngbHHmf8V4K3uFkYyp74aFf+CdymA030RKs6ewOwkmqRW19oIXCgVe8Qmfg+/2KTq8XN =0QSP -----END PGP MESSAGE----- I want... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nattynatty
12 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question