System access.

Special Forums Cybersecurity System access.
# 1  
Old 06-06-2010
System access.

As system admin i decided not to give shell access to users and even application admins on production systems.
I give them access via a simple (menu)webpage and the menus are suid capable.
So, even root commands can be granted to someones menu.
I like the fact that no commandline trying or messups with parms are possible.
Our security managers are happy the data is protected that well. Because the application admin could see/change data with its cridentials.

Offcourse when there are major problems, shell access might be needed. But most of then time you can manage with the menus.

Am i the only one?
If not what tools do you use?

Fjd.
# 2  
Old 06-06-2010
Web services to view data, logs, printers, a readonly id to use some Oracle Forms.

Admin updates and printer control are done thru AppWorx jobs, which are very tightly controlled. So nobody: user or manager gets to any prompt on a production unix box.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFM allows full system access

Hi, I am using NFM in my project and i need to specify argument to it so that when the connection is made, it only makes to a specific directory. Is there any way to do the same? Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: temp_user
2 Replies

2. Programming

Help to access pcb of a system

i'm working on a project in ma college ....i'm in need of accessing the process information ofa system to simulate them ! i don't know how to access the pcb of the os !! please help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh17
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to lock file system access

Hi Everybody.. I am using Moblin V2 which has nautilus file manager the one which is also used in Ubuntu. I want to lock the access to file system such that i can only browse my home folder not other locations like /, /usr, /bin and all. Or i want to create a partition of 10 or 15 GB so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokeshsingla
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to lock file system access

Hi Everybody.. I am using Moblin V2 which has nautilus file manager the one which is also used in Ubuntu. I want to lock the access to file system such that i can only browse my home folder not other locations like /, /usr, /bin and all. Or i want to create a partition of 10 or 15 GB so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lokeshsingla
1 Replies

5. Linux

file system access problem

I have 3 windows partitions (c,d,e) all of NTFS file system i mounted them while installing open suse in /win/c,/win/d,/win/e created a user other than "root" eg: "us1" problem 1: by loggimg into linux by user "us1" iam unable to see files in mounted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seshumohan
2 Replies

6. Programming

Access()System call

Hi, Is it possible to check the Existence/read/write of stdin,stdout,stderr using access() call like for the files we do. Ex: fd=access("./hi.txt",F_OK) Similarly I wanna check stdin/tdout/stderr using access() call I tried using fd=access(stdout,F_OK); But the result is -1. I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
3 Replies

7. AIX

Cannot access NFS file system

I create a NFS file system. I can read this system from client, however, I cannot write anything in this folder. Why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

8. Solaris

HELP cant get access to the system.

I mistakenly edited /etc/vfstab and added an invalid option for the / so now i cant access the system and its hang just when its start to boot, how can i get access to the harddisk to edit the vfstab ? can i use solaris CD ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to access cd's etc from a non GUI Unix system

i need to know how i would go about accessing my floppy disks, cd's and flash drives on my command prompt unix system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question