Old 09-25-2009
dynamically echo-ing parameters

I have file called vars that has the following init

USER_DB="hello"
USER_DB2="hello2"

These are passwords

I source vars

. vars

But I have a script that will cycle through several databases, but each has its own password. So I need to build my password parameter.

. vars
DB="DB1"
USERNAME="USER"
PASSWORD=$USER"_"$DB
echo $PASSWORD

When I do that I get DB_USER

What I really want is "hello"

which is the actually password that has been source. So I need to build my parameter dynamically. Then echo value of that parameter in memory.
# 2  
Old 09-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by guessingo
I have file called vars that has the following init

USER_DB="hello"
USER_DB2="hello2"

These are passwords

I source vars

. vars

But I have a script that will cycle through several databases, but each has its own password. So I need to build my password parameter.

. vars
DB="DB1"
USERNAME="USER"
PASSWORD=$USER"_"$DB

Code:
eval "PASSWORD=\${USER}_$DB"

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with awk'ing formatting this

Hi, I have a file below that I am wanting to awk. The lines of relevance are lines 7 and 9 $ nl /tmp/x 1 ADRCI: Release 11.2.0.3.0 - Production on Sun Jun 23 17:01:02 2013 2 Copyright (c) 1982, 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. 3 ADR base =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Dynamically Extract file content based on Parameters from a pdf file

Hi Guru's, I am new to shell scripting. I have a unique requirement: The system generates a single pdf(/tmp/ABC.pdf) file with Invoices for Multiple Customers, the format is something like this: Page1 >> Customer 1 >>Invoice1 + invoice 2 >> Page1 end Page2 >> Customer 2 >>Invoice 3 + Invoice 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DIps
3 Replies

3. Programming

Obfuscate'ing a.out ... ???

Hi all, I've search the forums regarding posts similar to this already but can't find the suitable response. Am actually looking for something very trivial I think. I just want to mask/obfuscate the a.out file and run it like a normal UNIX program. I've look at gpg and encryption but it requires... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
4 Replies

4. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi'ing with cron

I am familiar with cron, and vi, but i need to make a change to my /etc/hosts file, and would like to schedule it. Not sure how to run vi inside of cron. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trjones89
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dynamically ftp'ing a file

Hi, I am having unix script that passes argument value to script. The script finds the file and keeps it in a directory. I need to ftp this file to another server. Please guide me how to acieve this. I am able to connect to ftp server but i am not able to use the unix argument in the ftp... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

OR'ing condition in script

Hi, I have the following requirement. I am building a product on linux. The final build executables and libraries are all in different directories. I am writing a release script to collect all these final build items into a directory in /home/$USER/release. I have the following condition: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
9 Replies

10. Programming

fork()ing hell!!

Hello I am having serious trouble with the fork command, i basically want to create 9 or 10 child processes and store their pid numbers in array while the children stay resident until i kill() them later , i cannot seem to control how many are made as they all seem to create their own children. ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: theultimatechuf
16 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question