nobody & noaccess entries in passwd file

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers nobody & noaccess entries in passwd file
# 1  
Old 08-31-2005
nobody & noaccess entries in passwd file

Hi,

I cud find entries for user's named nobody and noaccess in the passwd file in the Unix system in which I am working ... I have seen entries for these in other systems too ....

What is the significance for nobody and noaccess ... ?? Anything special ?? Can anyone help ??

Thanks & regards,

SNS
# 2  
Old 08-31-2005
They are not normal logon id's. They are used for runing processes that require little or no access to the local systme (or example web servers). They should have no password associated with them (ie you should only be able to 'su' to them from root).

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Move & Sort by Name - Kick out Bad File Names & More

I have a dilemma, we have users who are copying files to "directory 1." These images have file names which include the year it was taken. I need to put together a script to do the following: Examine the file naming convention, ensuring it's the proper format (e.g. test-1983_filename-123.tif)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Monitoring log file for entries - Find command & sorting

hi, I would like to monitor a log file, which rolls over, everytime a server is restarted. I would like to grep for a string, and to be more efficient i'd like to grep only newly appended data. so something like a 'tail -f' would do, however, as the log rolls over i think a 'tail -F' is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: horhif
2 Replies

3. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

psswd&shadow 2 passwd together?!!

hi, all I just started on new box where I have to diff passwd working perfectly on the very same account/user. I see that shadow was added recently (I'm not a root in there), I see 'x' in passwd. Not sure how it should work, should I change old passwd for one defined in shadow? Or it's fine to... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: trento17
20 Replies

5. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace & with & xml file

Hello All I have a xml file with many sets of records like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> also same file can be like this <mytag>mydata</mytag> <tag2>data&</tag2> <tag3>data2&amp;data3</tag3> Now i can grep & and replace with &amp; for whole file but it will replace all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lokaish23
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp && rm command, rm: <file> not removed. No such file or directory

Hi, I am running this is korn shell cp $source/$fname $dest/dir && rm $source/$fname This was returned: rm: /dir/file not removed: No such file or directory The file could be found in the $dest directory which meant the cp was success. The above code is used in a for loop to move... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leion
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is it really not possible for me to edit the etc/group & the etc/passwd files?

From what I have read it possible to create a new group by editing the etc/group and etc/passwd in UNIX two files but a non-experienced user may face many problems such as destroying the file by mistake ot that his changes to these file does not make any difference. However, there is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatev3r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, As all of us know that in /etc/passwd file the first field correspond to username could any one tell me what is bin , damoen etc in the first field, and r they in user field , what is nologin in the last column ? root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
4 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

/etc/passwd file

hi Does anyone anyone know what the last line of a unix user passwd file signifes? Mine shows "+:::::" best (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_mad010
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question