Insert Text at begining of file

Top Forums Programming Insert Text at begining of file
# 1  
Old 05-27-2008
Question Insert Text at begining of file

Hi All,

Its been a long time since i did any programming and I am trying to get back into it as part of also learning Linux. Coming from a Cpp background i am trying to write some simple code just using C.

I want to create a simple log file but instead of appending to the end of the file i want to prepend it at the start. Try as i might i cant find any references to prepending text to a file.

I have tried rewind and fprintf to get to the top of the file but it overwrites existing entries at the top. How can i insert the text. Secondly I have read it is better for portability to use the Low Level I/O functions like open() read(), write and creat(). Can some one give me an example using the buffered methods like fopen, fprintf streams and the unbuffered methods like open() write() etc. I have read that fopen actually calls open() to open the file but provides a buffered stream.

I would appreciate your help very much. The books i have dont seem to go into much detail and though I have found many examples of reading and writing they dont seem to cover how to prepend. I suppose i could create a new file, but this seems to be a long way around the problem.

Thanks in advance and Regards
# 2  
Old 05-27-2008
There are a lot of ways. Here is one.

1 open a temp file. Write the new lines to it.
2. open the log file - read the lines from the log ; write them to the temp file
3. close both files
4 rename the temp file as the logfile.
# 3  
Old 05-27-2008
Jim,

Thanks, I had considered that but it seems to me a round about way. I was hopping for a more direct approach.

Regards
Netwolf
# 4  
Old 05-27-2008
Another possibility:

1 read the contents of the file in a buffer
2 write the new lines to the file
3 write the buffer to the file

Regards
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text within a file?

Hi, I am trying to check for missing dates in a file and would want to insert the missing date into the file. Currently the script is as below #!/bin/ksh dates="dates" cat ${dates} | grep -v "^#" curr_month=`date '+%m` curr_day=`date '+%d` curr_year=`date '+%Y` #curr_month=02... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert value to db from text file

Hi, I have a single value in insertval file. I want to load that value to database with the current date. I tried the below code but it is inserting <NULL> to database and echo $c is also null. cat insertval | awk -F ' ' '{print $1}' > c echo c=$c data=`sqlplus -s user/pwd@hostname <<EOF ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neethu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add serial number begining of each line in a text file

Dear All, i am having text file below rama 123 done raju 456 not done keshav 123 done ............... ............ i want to add a serial number to this file, the output should be 1 rama 123 done 2 raju 456 not done 3 keshav 123 done 99 ............... 100 ............ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text to file via ssh

I want to create a script that will set up key pairs from "thishost" to "remotehosts". I have a validate script in ~/<dir> that I need to prefix the generated key in the authorized_keys file, and I'm having to manually do this everytime. Here are my attemps, perhaps you could perfect them for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScannerDarkly
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text in the middle of a file?

Hi, So far i've made a script that takes two argument, 1st is the contents and the 2nd is the named file. At the moment i've managed to insert new contents as a new line at the top, but i want to ask how can you insert contents in the middle of the file? Source Code #!/bin/bash #Write... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen10
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Text On file

Hi All, Can someone pls help me to insert some text on a file. my file contains something like below.. AKBULBU, BALUMIL, BATCH,BATCH BOARROB, BOTAKAT, C57896, CAKIOZE, CHECMER, CICOFRA, CISZPAW,2194485 I want output as USER_ID, LOGIN_ID (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to insert two columns (or two feilds) at the begining of the table

Hey guys/gals, So here is what i'm starting with...its a Solaris patch diag output. bash-3.0# pca -l Using /var/tmp/patchdiag.xref from Oct/20/08 Host: seiftsx4140 (SunOS 5.10/Generic_127128-11/i386/i86pc) List: missing Patch IR CR RSB Age Synopsis ------ -- - -- --- ---... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert text in the middle of a file

Hey guys, how do we take a line of text as an argument from a user and then insert it in the middle of a file irrespective of the number of lines in the file. I am trying to do this without SED or AWK. Inserting it in the beginning and at the end is easy, but i am trying to accomplish inserting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikkumar84@g
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question