how to plug dummy data into zero byte file?

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to plug dummy data into zero byte file?
# 1  
Old 11-02-2007
how to plug dummy data into zero byte file?

Hi,
How can I plug dummy data into files that are zero bytes ?
Here is a sample script for removing the files I think.
find /path/to/directory -size 0 -type f -exec rm -f {} \;

I am not sure how to change it to echo "dummy" > zerobyte.txt. Any suggestions?
Here's the farthest I got:
find /path/to/directory -size 0 -type f -exec echo "dummy" > whatisfilename.txt {} \;
# 2  
Old 11-02-2007
Code:
find /path/to/directory -size 0 -type f | while read N
do
     echo "dummy" >$N
done

# 3  
Old 11-02-2007
Thanks Porter the GREAT!!

Worked like a charm. Thanks so much for your public service. If you are ever in Silicon Valley, email me and I'll buy you a drink (non - alcoholic of course!!)

Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Create a dummy file even if the path is not exist

hi, i want to create a dummy file even if the path to that file is not exist as follows. suppose, in my working directory 2 files are there. and i create one more file which is exist as follows # pwd /home/satya # ls file1.txt file2.txt # echo dummy > /home/satya/file3.txt # ls... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a dummy file in all directories that include a .jpg

Hello. My latest project has me with the need for the following script. Basically, any directory that includes a .jpg file needs to also have a ".picture" file created (if it doesn't exist). Here's an example of what I need. /mnt/user/Pictures/2011/Hawaii - 2011/.picture... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davinator
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert dummy values in a file

Hey guys, i have a file a.txt and i need to insert a dummy data into it as per the below pattern.. bash: cat a.txt 1234,34 3434,45 4545,56 3434,56 Now i need the file in the below pattern 1234,34,a0001,C_01 3434,45,a0002,C_02 4545,56,a0003,C_03 3434,56,a0004,C_04 here the count of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a dummy question on data processing

Hi, everyone, I have a matrix, let's say: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 7 8 9 1 2 3 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... ......... (nxm matrix) Is there a simple command that can take certain specific rows out of the matrix? e.g., I want to take row 2 (4 5 6 7 8 9 ...) and row 4 (3 4 5 6 7 8... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Write byte range/chunk of data from specific location in file

I am new to Unix so will really appreciate if someone can guide me on this. What I want to do is: Step1: Read binary file - pick first 2 bytes, convert from hex to decimal. Read the next 3 bytes as well. 2 bytes will specify the number of bytes 'n' that I want to read and write... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kbenipel
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a byte(Last byte from the last line)

Hi All Can anyone please suggest me how to remove the last byte from a falt file .This is from the last line's last BYTE. Please suggest me something. Thank's and regards Vinay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayrao
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dummy question on data process

I have a file which contains 6 columns. But I only need the first 3 columns. So I need to remove the last 3 columns. I checked 'cut' but it seems not working. So is there a command that could remove certain columns from a file? :( Thanks a lot!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixinsjtu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if 2 files are identical byte-to-byte?

In my server migration requirement, I need to compare if one file on old server is exactly the same as the corresponding file on the new server. For diff and comm, the inputs need to be sorted. But I do not want to disturb the content of the file and need to find byte-to-byte match. Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishmaths
4 Replies

9. AIX

What's the meanning of dummy.file

I run the command: /usr/sbin/acct/fwtmp < /var/adm/wtmp > dummy.file Get the login information However, what's the meaning in the file: abc pts/2 pts/2 7 2847322 0000 0000 1203261111 172.24.80.23 Sun Feb 17 10:11:51 EST 2007... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

0 byte file with no name????

Please help me in removing the 2nd file : -rw-rw-rw- 1 fup03a fup03a 9216 Aug 16 00:45 med_delay_log -rw-rw-rw- 1 fup03a fup03a 0 Aug 16 18:04 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonkeynesguy
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question