Number Swaping.... in file

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Number Swaping.... in file
# 1  
Old 12-16-2005
Number Swaping.... in file

I have a file having entries like 1270 (about 55000 entries like this). i want to swap these numbers like 2107... Any Idea
This User Gave Thanks to muneebr For This Post:
# 2  
Old 12-16-2005
see "man sed" and search for the word "replace" ... also do a search in this forum as this question or something very similar is regularly asked
# 3  
Old 12-16-2005
Are you talking about endian changes by any chance?
# 4  
Old 12-17-2005
Yeah Jim ... i m takling abt endian change Smilie

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file to another file at a line number which is given by third file

Hi friends, here is my problem. I have three files like this.. cat file1.txt ======= unix is best unix is best linux is best unix is best linux is best linux is best unix is best unix is best cat file2.txt ======== Windows performs better Mac OS performs better Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first number of each line in a file with another number

Hi, I have a set of files in a directory that I have to read and replace the first occurrence of a number with another dummy number. This is what I have so far but it does not seem to work. The files have lot of other data in each row and each data element is separated by ,@, for file in... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpioraghu
13 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the data from line number 1 to line number 100 of a file

Hi Everybody, I am trying to write a script that will get some perticuler data from a file and redirect to a file. My Question is, I have a Very huge file,In that file I have my required data is started from 25th line and it will ends in 100th line. I know the line numbers, I need to get all... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anji
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

swaping sections of lines

Is it possible to do this with sed? Go from this: 958211 XXYYXXYYXX file1 file2 file3 958897 XXYYXXYYXX file1 file2 To this: file1 file2 file3 XXYYXXYYXX 958211 file1 file2 XXYYXXYYXX 958897 The only thing consistant is XXYYXXYYXX. The numbers and files vary in length. I have seen I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read and separate number and words in file and store to two new file using shell

hi, I am a begginer in unix and i want to know how to open a file and read it and separate the numbers & words and storing it in separate files, Using shell scripting. Please help me out for this. Regards S.Kamakshi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamakshi s
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

swaping of first 2 words in every line using sed

Please any one can help me how to swap first 2 words in every line in a file using sed Thankk you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: web123
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question