Newbie: The UNIX Login process

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Newbie: The UNIX Login process
# 1  
Old 10-04-2002
Newbie: The UNIX Login process

I'm a complete newbie to UNIX so bear with me please...

I would like to get a description or process flow of a typcial UNIX loging process....for example, from the moment someone inputs their ID and password to final access. What are the files and order in which they are accessed? How does the Passwd, Shadow Passwd, Group, etc. files all interact in this process. Is there a site where I can see a description or better yet, a visual flow diagram of the process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance!

Smilie
# 2  
Old 10-04-2002
The man pages give a fairly good description.

$ man login

$ man passwd
$ man -s 4 shadow
# 3  
Old 10-07-2002
These are very basic questions that you can find easily with a www.google.com search. Or you can search this site for "tutorials", and "newbie" information. You will find a plethora of threads.

As stated before, the man page for login offers much.

Smilie Smilie

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change login process

Hello everybody ! At the beginning - I hope everything will be understandable as I know that my english skills are not as good as I would like. I use Manjaro Linux for one year, previously used Ubuntu for 6 years. Today I got an idea to create small USB electronic device but I don't know how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: halfboy
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Question: Killing a process using a supplied name to a shell script

Hi, I am trying to automate the killing of named processes of which I found a good solution here on the forums but as I am pretty much a begginer to linux I am having an issue. The code I found is: kill $(ps -ef | nawk '/monitoreo start/ { print $2}'} but what I want to do is replace... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TylrRssl1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we call JSP file from Unix.if so how.Please help me.Im newbie to Unix

Hi Can we call a jsp page from Unix.if so please let me know how we can.. thanks for the help in advance... thanks kumar (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsukumar
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Can u explain login process in solaris

Can u explain login process in solaris detaily.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jinu
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Who does the Login process

In Unix who takes care of the login process...? Is it kernel or shell... or some other program...? Kernel wont interact with users. And shell doesn't get started before login process... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravana
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Login Process takes longer

Hello. Since Yesterday, I notice that after giving telnet IP or SSH IP - it takes long time to display login: , I mean earlier after entering Server name It used to immediately ask for login ID and then password. But, now it takes min of 2-3 minute to ask for password. Where can I check,... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hiding login/password in process!

Hello, I am trying to figure out away to hide a command from users when performing a ps check. I have a ksh that purges a table in a database. If I perform a >ps -eaf |grep ksh, I get the login id and password. I do not want other users seeing this. Is there a way to hide this. The login... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctcuser
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get telnetd to start a process other than login

I want to be able to get telnetd to start a program of my choice or one that I have written . . . or . . . write a daemon of my own to listen on a port other than 23 and when a connection arrives it should create a controlling tty/pty and then launch my program on the client side of the pty. A... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdenaro
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question