Making a new OS based on Solaris / OpenSolaris

The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Making a new OS based on Solaris / OpenSolaris
# 1  
Old 01-24-2006
Hammer & Screwdriver Making a new OS based on Solaris / OpenSolaris

Hi

I'm planning on making a OS based on the Solaris kernel. And I would like to know what you think about this idea or want to contribute.

I'm planning on modifying the current Solaris kernel and adding more drivers to it and making it work better on x86. This project will be completely open source and free.
# 2  
Old 01-24-2006
to be honest with you, if you are smart enough to make distributions with a solaris kernel you could support some projects which are already out. i don't think that it make sense to create 1000s distributions like with the linux kernel, there should be some stable distris and not 100s of unstable Smilie

i like that opensolaris/debian based one: Nexenta OS

gP

[moved that post to "What's on Your Mind?" because it's not a technical question]
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script for making files based on some conditions.

Hi All, I have a text file (code_data.txt) with the followig data. AMAR AB123456 XYZ KIRAN CB789 ABC RAJ CS78890 XYZ KAMESH A33535335 ABC KUMAR MD678894 MAT RITESH SR3535355... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
26 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Making a text based game

Hello, I am looking to make a text based game, that runs in the command window, or a window similar. I will only need to use 1 window. I read somewhere that there is libraries for this kind of thing? But I can't remember the name of them.. Can anyone point me in a direction? I will be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphy
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a Text based game. Need help.

Okay so Zork sparked my interest in this. I have been learning to program for the last year and a half. I've dabbled in everything from Java to Ruby to PHP & XHTML & SQL, and now I'm on bash. I really like bash scripting. Its easy and fun. I just started two days ago. Pretty much I've been writing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lemonoid
1 Replies

4. Solaris

OpenSolaris, Solaris, Solaris Express - differences

What are the differences between these systems? I have to use Oracle's product but I do not know who to choose (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PtaQ
3 Replies

5. Solaris

OpenSolaris vs Solaris

What is the difference between OpenSolaris and Solaris ? Can we get the same full functionality as Solaris on SPARC in OpenSolaris ? thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhiroracle
3 Replies

6. Solaris

What is faster? Solaris 10 or OpenSolaris?

Title says it all. For a high performance fileserver, what's the faster solution? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatrickBaer
12 Replies

7. Solaris

OpenSolaris instead Sun Solaris

My dear friends is Sun microsystems normall corporation I can not set Croatian keyboard no CHANCE i tried every possible method and today I can not get my GUI login. But strange thing is that on openSolaris my keyboard layout work PERFECTLY like in linux but I do no want to go to OpenSolaris... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
36 Replies

8. High Performance Computing

Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris : Web Based Management tools and Sun Cluster installation

Gurus, I have several questions : 1. Does Solaris 10/OpenSolaris has some kind of web based management tools ? Currently I am using WebMin. It worked fine, however I am very curious to use the tools provided by Sun Microsystem. Please advise for package name and how to activate.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zepiroth
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question