order by size

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers order by size
# 1  
Old 08-11-2006
order by size

Hi all,

I want to do a command that list all files from a directory e subdirectories order by size (MAX to MIN)

Can you help me?

Tkz
# 2  
Old 08-11-2006
ls -S
-S Sort files by size
# 3  
Old 08-11-2006
If you are on some other flavor of UNIX than Linux you can try:
Code:
ls -s | sort -n

This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory listing in the order of size

I want to display directory listing in the order of size. I do not have -S option in my version of UNIX. So I wrote a simple script. But it takes "| sort -n -k5,5" part as file names. Any suggestion? #!/bin/ksh cmd='ls -l *.TXT | sort -n -k 5,5' set -x $cmd return 0 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Soham
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ls directory size reporting byte size instead of file count

I have been searching both on Unix.com and Google and have not been able to find the answer to my question. I think it is partly because I can't come up with the right search terms. Recently, my virtual server switched storage devices and I think the problem may be related to that change.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmgibby
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help printing files in ascending order of the fi le size (in bytes)

Hey guys I'm new to unix and need help printing files in a specified directory according to size in bytes as well as files with equal bites in alphabetical order the part i have done so far prints out all files in the directory as well as setting a time limit in which they have been modified ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wessy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read file size and send email only if size > 0.

Hi Experts, I have a script like $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus username/password # << ENDSQL set pagesize 0 trim on feedback off verify off echo off newp none timing off set serveroutput on set heading off spool Schemaerrtmp.txt select ' TIMESTAMP COMPUTER NAME ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: welldone
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the directories, sub directories in a mount along with size in ascending order?

Hi , I am very new to unix as well as shell scripting. I have to write a script for the following requirement. In a particular mount, have to list all the directories and sub directories along with size of the directory and sub directory in ascending order. Please help me in this regard and many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmakkena
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Directory size larger than file system size?

Hi, We currently have an Oracle database running and it is creating lots of processes in the /proc directory that are 1000M in size. The size of the /proc directory is now reading 26T. How can this be if the root file system is only 13GB? I have seen this before we an Oracle temp file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
6 Replies

9. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list file's by size order in sepecfied directory and sub directories

How do I list files of type "*.file" for example by size order recursively ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferretman
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question