C++(Project SizingLabs) - question

Top Forums Programming C++(Project SizingLabs) - question
# 1  
Old 02-05-2007
C++(Project SizingLabs) - question

We are working on a new benchmark tool called SizingLabs, This is my last year as a Mct Student and to pass this year i need to work 4 months with 8 other students non stop on this project. I am responsible for creating a tool for a unix system that collects system (performance) information and send that information to a server socket.

I am a mere beginner in creating tools in c++.( I am familiar with Visual basic.net(server-client ,wmi..) Asp.net Java(server-client chess game) and JSP(forum)).

My question is can i use Visual C++ to create an unix tool, and if i can what kind of project should i best choose, if i cant what code developer tool should i use then.

thnx for your time Smilie

for those who can read Dutch here you have an explanation of our project SizingLabs
# 2  
Old 02-05-2007
Visual C++ is a micro$oft product, it wont run on unix unless you do lots of crazy porting of your own, but there is a tool called Qt with many classes available for you to use from sockets to graphics ...
# 3  
Old 02-05-2007
thnx for the info just what i needed, and so fast reply in less than 5 mins Smilie
# 4  
Old 02-06-2007
question, are there maybe other developer tools than qt for unix systems ? because i cant seem to get the open source version of qt installend on XP (when i do configure -platform it keeps asking me to do that again) Smilie
# 5  
Old 02-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by andryk
Visual C++ is a micro$oft product, it wont run on unix unless you do lots of crazy porting of your own, but there is a tool called Qt with many classes available for you to use from sockets to graphics ...

Interesting! Smilie

I just thought MS VC++ would never run on any of the unix/linux flavours

Really!

Quite surprising!!!
# 6  
Old 02-07-2007
Quote:
Interesting!
I just thought MS VC++ would never run on any of the unix/linux flavours

Really!

Quite surprising!!!
Cool down Smilie that was just a joke!
# 7  
Old 02-07-2007
There is some confusion here. Qt needs to run under xterm on Linux. Why? Because you have to make UNIX system calls, not Windows API calls. You cannot compile against libraries that do not exist.

You can install Cygwin on your PC and work in that UNIX environment.
g++ (C++ compiler and libraries from GNU)is available for almost every UNIX platform.
So you could port your code from Linux to Solaris, for example.

I think there is a Qt environment for windows, but I don't see how you could do anything for UNIX in it, like test.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

FINDING DUPLICATE PROJECT ( directory project )

I have a project tree like that. after running find command with the -no -empty option, i am able to have a list of non empty directory DO_MY_SEARCH="find . -type d -not -empty -print0" MY_EXCLUDE_DIR1=" -e NOT_IN_USE -e RTMAP -e NOT_USEFULL " echo " " > $MY_TEMP_RESULT_1 while... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies

2. News, Links, Events and Announcements

A new project was posted on The UNIX and Linux Forums project board.

A new project was posted on your project board. Project title: Bash Shell Tutoring Estimated Budget: $50/hr Start date: Immediately Required skills: Linux, Bash, Shell, UNIX I work as a datawarehouse designer and developer. Although I usually stick to the role of an analyst,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Need ideas for graduation project based on unix or linux Need ideas for graduation project based on

Dear all, i am in last year of electronics department in engineering faculty i need suggestions for a graduation project based on unix or free bsd or linux and electronics "embedded linux " i think about embedded unix for example or device drivers please i need helps (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MOHA-1
1 Replies

4. Solaris

what is the use of /etc/project file and project administration commands?

i have two doubts.. 1. what is the use /etc/project file. i renamed this file and when i tried to switch user or login with some user account the login was happening slowly. but when i renamed it to original name it was working fine... why so? 2. unix already has useradd and grouadd for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
4 Replies

5. Solaris

SSH doesn't pick up user's project from /etc/project

We have a system running ssh. When a user logs in, they do not get the project they are assigned to (they run under "system"). I verify the project using the command "ps -e -o user,pid,ppid,args,project". If you do a "su - username", the user does get the project they are assigned to (and all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurgan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl project question

I am going to write a perl script which will analyze a big file. Each line will be have about 33 items split by | and each file will sometimes contains thousands and thousands of lines. Question is, is it best to read the entire lines of file into an multi array or is it best to grep out the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
2 Replies

7. Programming

a little project i need some help with

Hell everyone, i am trying to write a program for work, i am doing an internship there, where the program will list all the files on the Unix Server(soloaris 9) for all the engineers to look at. The code i have so far works to display all files, but the program also needs to check and see if the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShenTech
3 Replies

8. Programming

Project Help

hi all. Im not sure whether this is the correct forum to post in, but here goes. I've been given my first year (uni) project c++, a pretty small one really. Problem is I have written a code, but I havent tested or debugged it (dont ask). Can someone check it and correct any errors I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shade
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question