Increasing Performance of Disc Arrays

Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Increasing Performance of Disc Arrays
# 1  
Old 11-18-2011
Increasing Performance of Disc Arrays

Hi,

I'm new here and have a quick question about Linux Raid and LVM.

I have a HP server with 2 physically separate raid arrays both contain 8 spindles which are configured in hardware as raid 5. When I installed Cent OS 5.7 they were seen, as you would expect, as two separate physical volumes by the OS.

Now CentOS I believe used LVM to pool both the volumes together into a logical volume group and within that group there are 2 logical volumes. I think LVM is not doing any kind of performance enhancement and is just joining the 2 physical volumes together, so writing data will fill the first physical volume and then once full will start using the other.

So my questions are:

Am I likely to see any speed benefits using software raid 0 so it uses 16 spindles simultaneously?

Will this configuration co-exist with LVM or will I need to destroy the LVM and switch over to software raid and redo partitions and mount points?

Cheers,
David.
# 2  
Old 11-18-2011
using raid 0 will provide no fault tolerance !!

To change raid level you have to destroy the existing raid if it is hardware raid with hp array controller !!

If you create a raid 0 with all the disks how will OS read the raid partition a single partition or 16 different partitions ?
# 3  
Old 11-19-2011
Sorry I should clarify, I plan to keep the hardware raid 5 but I wanted to know if it was feasible to put software raid 0 on top so both raid arrays are used simultaneously and protected by the hardware raid 5. The server in question is a file server so the CPU sits idle most of the time but just getting the best config for performance without sacrificing data integrity.
# 4  
Old 11-19-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBIade
Now CentOS I believe used LVM to pool both the volumes together into a logical volume group and within that group there are 2 logical volumes. I think LVM is not doing any kind of performance enhancement and is just joining the 2 physical volumes together, so writing data will fill the first physical volume and then once full will start using the other.

So my questions are:

Am I likely to see any speed benefits using software raid 0 so it uses 16 spindles simultaneously?
In a word, no. Software RAID doesn't combine two devices into one double-speed device. Though if you have two programs reading simultaneously, one may one device, and the other may get the other device, spreading out the load.
# 5  
Old 11-19-2011
If you are having performance issues, perhaps RAID 5 is a bad choice. Other options might be to check the controller settings to see if you are doing write-through instead of write-back (using the controller's cache or bypassing it).

Another thing to consider is the chunk/stripe size in RAID 5. Depending on workload, it could be an issue. Did you align the file systems so that you are not on a boundary?

Also, even though you have dual RAID 5 arrays, you can and will lose data in a Software RAID 0 system during a failure if you lose 2 drives in an array or part of it becomes inaccessible, as there are parts of the same blocks of data on different parts of the software array. You will have used your disks in the least efficient manner possible.

I suggest you consider RAID 10 for your system if you plan on doing thing this way. Alternately, you may want to check/change your I/O elevator (scheduler), and determine what your most common workload for the disks will be, and then create a setup that will work best in that scenario.
This User Gave Thanks to mark54g For This Post:
# 6  
Old 11-21-2011
Thanks for the replies guys. I was always planning to keep the hardware raid 5 as the last layer of protection so I always have that ability to loose a drive from each of the arrays and they 'should' still function until I can swap in a new drive.

I'm in the lucky position that I have a spare server that I can test all this out with so I may just bite the bullet and try the software raid 0 on top to see if I can get all those spindells flocking in the same direction.

Backup strategy at the moment is just rsync to a cifs share which seems to work quite well.
# 7  
Old 11-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBIade
I'm in the lucky position that I have a spare server that I can test all this out with so I may just bite the bullet and try the software raid 0 on top to see if I can get all those spindells flocking in the same direction.
I repeat, software RAID 0 on Linux does not do this. It won't combine two devices into one double-speed device. It just gives you redundancy.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

question about int arrays and file pointer arrays

if i declare both but don't input any variables what values will the int array and file pointer array have on default, and if i want to reset any of the elements of both arrays to default, should i just set it to 0 or NULL or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

2. Web Development

PHP arrays in arrays

PHP question... I have an SQL query that's pulled back user IDs as a set of columns. Rather than IDs, I want to use their names. So I have an array of columns $col with values 1,7,3,12 etc and I've got an array $person with values "Fred", "Bert", "Tom" etc So what I want to do is display the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Ultra 10 - Copying Files From Disc After Booting Up With Recovery Disc?

Hello, I'm still learning unix and I have what is probably a simple question but I can't seem to find the question to. I have an Ultra 10 Sparc Server running solaris 8 and the drive may have crashed (I hope not). Currently, it appears some files in the /etc folder are missing. I have a backup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ideffects
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

format disc

What is the best way to format the partition? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
3 Replies

5. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Announcing collectl - new performance linux performance monitor

About 4 years ago I wrote this tool inspired by Rob Urban's collect tool for DEC's Tru64 Unix. What makes this tool as different as collect was in its day is its ability to run at a low overhead and collect tons of stuff. I've expanded the general concept and even include data not available in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarkSeger
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disc Needs Maintenance

Hello All Here I am using Sun V880 server which have discsuit pack of 8 discs with 2 sub mirrors each. Everything was fine for the last 1 year. Now I am getting problem of taking backup of the server. After analysis what I got that each 2nd submirrors are in NEEDS MAINTENANCE status. What... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

New MO disc format under HP Unix

How to format new MO disc under HP Unix? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vlad3131
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy of HP-UX from MO disc

This is my newbi question. I have HP-UX on a MO drive, need to backup that MO in case of damaging the original. Therefor I need a copy on server and be able to put that copy onto a blank MO to recreate a working bootable disc. This what I did. First I tried to make a copy with dd dd... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tops
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disc Copy

Is there a disk copy utiliy for unix systems eg: I need to make a duplicate copy of a netraT1 to a netraT1 Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmartJuniorUnix
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question