how to display the shell type

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to display the shell type
# 1  
Old 11-04-2006
how to display the shell type

hello,

I was wondering what is the command to display the shell type?

much thanks
yipster
# 2  
Old 11-04-2006
to get the current shell :
echo $0
# 3  
Old 11-04-2006
thank you

I just found out echo $SHELL works too.
yipster
# 4  
Old 11-04-2006
Be careful with $SHELL.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell script to find file type

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a shell script that takes a single command line parameter, a file path (might be relative or absolute). The script should examine that file and print a single line consisting of the phrase: Windows ASCII if the files is an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwatt019
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell type.. /bin/uvalid?

Hi, I gave a command echo $SHELL --> To find out the shell I'm using, which gave me the below output echo $SHELL /bin/uvalid what does it mean? Please use code tags when posting data and code samples, thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dnam9917
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display storage type and storage size

Can anybody help me ont to get the command to check storage type and storage size in unix. Thank u in advanced!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisham
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to type ISO_8859_1 characters in shell script?

Hello All, I want to type some special characters to check in my shell script as string. Could you please help me how do I type in my shell script. For example "LA CORUĆA". Here the last but 1 character is related to ISO_8859_1 related. But don't know how do I type in shell script programming.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvkuriseti
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting the data type in unix shell script

I am writing a unix shell script that will extract records from table and write into a file. ====================================== #! /bin/ksh ############################ # AFI Monitor Script ############################ . /db2/uszlad48/sqllib/db2profile export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

changing shell type from sh to ksh

Could someone please advise, what's the best way to changing the shell type from sh to ksh. When I login into a unix server it takes you directly to sh, is there a way of amending the .profile to use ksh instead. Or is there some other way ? Ideally it would be good to be done from the login... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specifying font type and color in a shell script

Hi, I am new to shell script. Can you please tell me, whether can we specify font type and color in a shell script? If so, how to do this? Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vani_Govind
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to identify the type of shell using comands..

Dear friends, please tell me how to identify the type of the shell (whether cShell, kshell or anything else) please tell me the command. waiting for ur reply.... regards, swamymns (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Simple shell that look for a file type

Hello Everyone, I got a simple question. I'm trying to write a shell that looks for a file that arived ftp area and keeps looking until it find it. It should look for the file that begins with test and then when it finds it. It starts the wmdaten.sh shell. All i got is that it runs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peterh
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question