problem with lv

Operating Systems AIX problem with lv
# 1  
Old 07-16-2008
problem with lv

Hi,
Below is the layout of one of my AIX 5100-03's rootvg look like. Some of my lvs are grown over to multiple hdisks (bolded lines). can somebody explain me why is that happening and how to stop that or get those spanned data into a single hdisk.
lsvg -l rootvg
rootvg:
LV NAME TYPE LPs PPs PVs LV STATE MOUNT POINT
hd5 boot 1 1 1 closed/syncd N/A
hd6 paging 39 39 1 open/syncd N/A
hd8 jfslog 1 1 1 open/syncd N/A
hd4 jfs 16 16 2 open/syncd /
hd2 jfs 183 183 2 open/syncd /usr
hd9var jfs 16 16 1 open/syncd /var
hd3 jfs 19 19 1 open/syncd /tmp
hd1 jfs 14 14 2 open/syncd /home
hd10opt jfs 489 489 2 open/syncd /opt

paging00 paging 25 25 1 open/syncd N/A

lsvg -p rootvg
rootvg:
PV_NAME PV STATE TOTAL PPs FREE PPs FREE DISTRIBUTION
hdisk0 active 537 49 00..49..00..00..00
hdisk1 active 537 114 00..00..00..06..108
hdisk4 active 537 375 108..52..00..107..108

lsvg rootvg
VOLUME GROUP: rootvg VG IDENTIFIER: 0020392500004c00000000f3591c20a6
VG STATE: active PP SIZE: 8 megabyte(s)
VG PERMISSION: read/write TOTAL PPs: 1611 (12888 megabytes)
MAX LVs: 256 FREE PPs: 538 (4304 megabytes)
LVs: 12 USED PPs: 1073 (8584 megabytes)
OPEN LVs: 11 QUORUM: 2
TOTAL PVs: 3 VG DESCRIPTORS: 3
STALE PVs: 0 STALE PPs: 0
ACTIVE PVs: 3 AUTO ON: yes
MAX PPs per PV: 1016 MAX PVs: 32
LTG size: 128 kilobyte(s) AUTO SYNC: no
HOT SPARE: no

...and .....

<root@silo.dsm.pwj.com/> lslv hd1
LOGICAL VOLUME: hd1 VOLUME GROUP: rootvg
LV IDENTIFIER: 0020392500004c00000000f3591c20a6.8 PERMISSION: read/write
VG STATE: active/complete LV STATE: opened/syncd
TYPE: jfs WRITE VERIFY: off
MAX LPs: 512 PP SIZE: 8 megabyte(s)
COPIES: 1 SCHED POLICY: parallel
LPs: 14 PPs: 14
STALE PPs: 0 BB POLICY: relocatable
INTER-POLICY: minimum RELOCATABLE: yes
INTRA-POLICY: center UPPER BOUND: 32
MOUNT POINT: /home LABEL: /home
MIRROR WRITE CONSISTENCY: on/ACTIVE
EACH LP COPY ON A SEPARATE PV ?: yes

thanks in advance..
# 2  
Old 07-16-2008
is there something to do with INTER-POLICY?
# 3  
Old 07-16-2008
This happens, because when the VG and LVs were created, there was no restriction on which PVs they will go - ie. none selected it from smit or mkvg or mklv.
If none was selected, they take whatever hdisk has free space and is member of that VG.

Since there is no mirror (as you can see by the number of PPs which is the same amount for LPs) even parameters like
Quote:
EACH LP COPY ON A SEPARATE PV ?: yes
are not taken into account, since you have
Quote:
COPIES: 1
for each LV.

If you are using an internal raid controller or external raid disks for rootvg, all might be good. If not, I recommend strongly that you get a 4th or 5th and 6th disk (if the space is sufficient then) and start (AIX) mirroring all the LVs (lvcopy).
Else if you have a crash, you have to rely solely on your mksysb, after replacing defect disk(s).
After everything is mirrored, you will have to use "migratelp" to move each copy of an LP (PP) to another hdisk, so that the mirror makes sense in the end.
# 4  
Old 07-16-2008
Your assumption is correct. "Inter-policy" means: either keep the LV at as few PVs as possible or distribute it over as many PVs as possible. The latter option was of much higher significance in the days when "PV" was a physical disk, not a share on some SAN-subsystem like today. Distributing the LV over many physical disks was a way to maximize disk-troughput back then (keep in mind that the LP size was much smaller back then and likely to fit in the disks cache).

Regarding your initial question: Your rootvg has been expanded and probably the LVs have not always been what they are now but were increased in size several times. The system simply had no other choice than to assign parts of different disks to fulfill the requirements.

You can correct this by running a "reorgvg" (see the man page for details, its straightforward), but i suggest doing a backup before first (to be real sure check the backup by installing it to a different machine) and second doing it during a time when the systems consumption is as low as possible - preferably at some maintenance downtime.

As i can see your rootvg is not mirrored. Is there a reason for this? If not: i would suggest making correcting this your first priority. This is very likely your biggest hazard here, in comparison the LV issues are negligeable.

bakunin
# 5  
Old 07-22-2008
thanks guys for the info..
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed Or Grep Problem OR Terminal Problem?

I don't know if you guys get this problem sometimes at Terminal but I had been having this problem since yesterday :( Maybe I overdid the Terminal. Even the codes that used to work doesn't work anymore. Here is what 's happening: * I wanted to remove lines containing digits so I used this... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
25 Replies

2. IP Networking

Problem with forwarding emails (SPF problem)

Hi, This is rather a question from a "user" than from a sys admin, but I think this forum is apropriate for the question. I have an adress with automatic email forwarding and for some senders (two hietherto), emails are bouncing. This has really created a lot of problems those two time so I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: carwe
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX OS problem? network problem?

Dear ALL. I installed AIX OS on customer sites. but Only one site is too slow when I connected telnet, ftp.. Ping is too fast. but telnet and FTP is not connected.. of course i check the configuration file on aix but it's normal. Do any Idea?? thanks in advance. - Jun - (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeon Jun Seok
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DHCP problem and eth1 problem

At work I am trying to get this one Linux machine (let's call it ctesgm07) to behave like another Linux machine that we have (let's call it test007). test007 returns the following version info: cat /etc/debian_version: lenny/sid uname -a: Linux test007 2.6.27-7-generic #1 SMP Tue Nov 4... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sllinux
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Mail Problem. Maybe, it is a DNS Problem!

Hi, i've a redhat linux 9 upadated by redhat from 7 version to 9 version. A couple of days ago i was a problem with my mail, in other words i'm not able to get any email nor to send any email. I've a proxy configuration and i tried to set iptables in order to verify the port. The 110,255 and 995... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pintalgi
1 Replies

6. AIX

user login problem & Files listing problem.

1) when user login to the server the session got colosed. How will resolve? 2) While firing the command ls -l we are not able to see the any files in the director. but over all view the file system using the command df -g it is showing 91% used. what will be the problem? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

7. Solaris

problem in finding a hardware problem

Hi I am right now facing a strange hardware problem. System get booted with the following error: Fatal Error Reset CPU 0000.0000.0000.0003 AFSR 0100.0000.0000.0000 SCE AFAR 0000.07c6.0000.1000 SC Alert: Host System has Reset It happen 4 or 5 times and get the same error every time.I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh script problem problem

Hi Please help me with the following problem with my script. The following block of code is not repeating in the while loop and exiting after searching for first message. input_file ========== host001-01 host001-02 2008-07-23 13:02:04,651 ConnectionFactory - Setting session state... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcjandyala
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with dd command or maybe AFS problem

Hi, folks. Sorry for bothering, but maybe someone could help me please. The problem is the following: there is some script that copies files from local file system to AFS. The copying is performed with dd command. The script copies data into some AFS volumes. The problem appeared with one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anta
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SSH Problem auth problem

Hi, Just recently we seem to be getting the following error message relating to SSH when we run the UNIX script in background mode: warning: You have no controlling tty. Cannot read confirmation.^M warning: Authentication failed.^M Disconnected; key exchange or algorithm negotiation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: budrito
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question