access to the bin of another user

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users access to the bin of another user
# 1  
Old 08-20-2011

Hello All,

I am using AIX 6.1
I created two users (user_1 and user_2) with same primary group goup_1.
in user_1 I am accessing an application command line which is found under user_1home_dir/application/bin

I need to access the same application command line from user_2.
What I did that in the ".profile" file of user_2, i modified the Path variable to add the PATH=$PATH:user_1home_dir/application/bin
same for LIBPATH
but still not able to access the command line of the application from user_2
# 2  
Old 08-20-2011
what do you mean unable to access? Please post the error.

also post the output of this command
Code:
ls -ld /path/to/user_1home_dir /path/to/user_1home_dir/application /path/to/user_1home_dir/bin

# 3  
Old 08-20-2011

No error is generated below is an example, it is just do not enter applicaion command line

from user_2
user_2homedirectory>appcmd
application_name.2.61
user_1homedirectory>

from user_1 :

user_1homedirectory>appcmd
appcmd>

below is the result of ls -ld:
Code:
drwxrwxrwx   14 user_1   group_1          4096 Aug 20 11:20 user_2homedirectory
drwxrwxr-x   17 root     system         4096 Aug 20 16:54 user_1homedirectory
drwxr-xr-x    2 user_1  group_1         20480 Jul 29 21:31 user_1homedirectory/application/bin

# 4  
Old 08-31-2011
It looks like when you are accessing from user_2 the application in question is giving some sort of version number and coming out.

Is it possible to check the application to see if there is someting /dev/null redirection is there or not. It looks like some error is happening but you are not able to look that in stdout.
# 5  
Old 09-01-2011
hmm...well, you gotta take a better look at the source code or the script of that appcmd file. It does not appear to be a permission or PATH variable problem. Would you mind posting the script on here?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of #!/bin/sh vs #!/bin/bash shell scripts?

Some question about the usage of shell scripts: 1.) Are the commands of the base shell scripts a subset of bash commands? 2.) Assume I got a long, long script WITHOUT the first line. How can I find out if the script was originally designed für "sh" or "bash"? 3.) How can I check a given... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
3 Replies

2. AIX

Redistribution bin required for AIX. j7r164redist.7.1.0.25.bin

Hi, I am planning to install a version of Informatica on my AIX box. It requires a specific java build in pap6470_27sr2-20141101_01(SR2). The current link for IBM 64-bit SDK for AIX®, JavaTM Technology Edition, Version 7 Release 1 has a more recent version in j7r164redist.7.1.0.75.bin. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetpraveens
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

If cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print t

there are two directories A and B if cmd in in "A/user/bin A/bin A/user/sbin" but not "B/user/bin B/bin B/user/sbin" directory print them (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help about user access

Hi frds, I have got a script restart.sh that kills and restarts a process. This scripts runs under a user called USER1 who is a normal user. Now my requirement is that i got other user named USER2 who should be able to run that script as USER1 as we dont want to share the password of user1 we... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

When to use /Users/m/bin instead of /usr/local/bin (& whats the diff?)?

Q1. I understand that /usr/local/bin means I can install/uninstall stuff in here and have any chance of messing up my original system files or effecting any other users. I created this directory myself. But what about the directory I didn't create, namely /Users/m/bin? How is that directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michellepace
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing user access using user id

I have multiple .prm files that contain user ID's. The .prm files reside in multiple directories that allow users access to different areas of the system. (see below) current directory /apps/fourgen/accounting/menu drwxrwxrwx 16 phil infotech 512 Sep 7 2002 apmenu... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
8 Replies

7. AIX

User access

Is there any way I can restrict a user to 1 directory when logging in but give the access to another directory? For example restrict the user to /home/user at login but also allow then to access /opt/data/user. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fuser: difference with bin/sh and bin/ksh shell script

Hi, I have a problem I don't understand with fuser. I launch a simple shell script mysleep.sh: I launch the command fuser -fu mysleep.sh but fuser doesn't return anything excepted: mysleep: Then I modify my script switching from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/ksh I launch the command fuser -fu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

bin program access

Hello, I was wondering if I have something in my bin dir and I want to access it from another directory to make a change how can I go about it. Thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gingburg
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory when doing crontab

I just set up an ftp server with Red Hat 5.2. I am doing the work, I'm baby stepping, but it seems like every step I get stuck. Currently, I'm trying to set up a crontab job, but I'm getting the following message: /bin/sh: /usr/bin/vi: No such file or directory. I see that vi exists in /bin/vi,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwalter
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question