Database Migration

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Database Migration
# 1  
Old 11-19-2005
Database Migration

Hi All,

This question is mainly to get help from u all experts for a database vendor change

we are in the process of migrating our database vendor from INFORMIX to ORACLE to run on SOLARIS 9.4 box.
Hence we need to work out on our applications which all are written in native 4GL (an easy interface to communicate with informix database)

I tried in our forum regarding database vendor change and according effect to the application which uses the database but could not find any such

postings, could be this is the first one of its kind?

As we are going to use ORACLE as our database,
1) Do all the applications written in 4GL have to be necessarily re-written in Pro *C/C++? Is there any other alternatives possible for that?

2) Are there any migration tools avaialable with respect to rewriting applications from 4GL to Pro *C/C++ ?
( I am sure data migration across databases are possible)

3) And above all the risks and feasibility of such kind of a task?

(I am aware that I am piling up questions ...)

Your help would be of great value to me.

I am sure some of you experts would have surely had enough and great real time experience in doing such kind of vendor change and challenges faced during such meticulous migration tasks.

If u experts suggest some good websites, links regarding this it would be even more useful and helpful to me.

Awaiting ur reply.

Thanks.
# 2  
Old 11-21-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixmadhan
1) Do all the applications written in 4GL have to be necessarily re-written in Pro *C/C++? Is there any other alternatives possible for that?
You can use PL/SQL for procedures and small reports, and ORACLE FORMS for user interface development. Pro*C, Pro*FORTRAN Pro*COBOL are meant for
development of major apps that do a lot of processing and possibly interact with the unix file system. PL/SQL does not do file I/O very well. It has limitations.

PL/SQL is the trigger language.

Quote:
2) Are there any migration tools avaialable with respect to rewriting applications from 4GL to Pro *C/C++ ?
www.orafaq.org mentions some things about foriegn 4GL's.
I don't know if any of it applies to Informix, because I've worked only with Oracle for 20 years. You can search that site.

Quote:
3) And above all the risks and feasibility of such kind of a task?
You need to do some serious upfront reading. There are some kinds of SQL constructs and dynamic calls that kill Oracle but are common in a lot of apps.

Simple examples of things that may be misused in PL/SQL or SQL in ORACLE:

EXEC IMMEDIATE - creates a dynamic query which looks attractive but for large multiuser systems will eat up resources and reduce throughput. It may chew up caching, for example.

SELECT ... FOR UPDATE can lock an entire table of millions of rows if misused.
I've seen apps that do this, then ask for user input. When the user goes to lunch at this point without pushing the return key, the entire db grinds to a halt as other people need to access that table.

It's a huge book, but will save you endless grief:

Tom Kite 'Expert one on One ORACLE'

There is a version of this book for 8i and 9i. I think he's got a 10g version out, but go here where TOm Kite answers questions, he often lets you know about books out there, you may want to ask him/or search his site to see if there are any resources for porting from Informix - porting is a main part of his expertise:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/
# 3  
Old 11-22-2005
thank you so much for your valuable reply Jim.

Let me continue in same thread for any further doubts and clarifications
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

AIX - FC Switch migration, SAN Migration question!

I'm New to AIX / VIOS We're doing a FC switch cutover on an ibm device, connected via SAN. How do I tell if one path to my remote disk is lost? (aix lvm) How do I tell when my link is down on my HBA port? Appreciate your help, very much! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

CRON Job to copy database and replace existing database

I have a reseller account with hostgator, which means i have WHM and Cpanel. I have set up a staging environment for one of my wordpress installations (client website), which is essentially sitting at staging.domain.com (live site is at domain.com). The staging website is a complete copy of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nzrobert
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Can't create database after Oracle Database installation

I installed Oracle 10 software on Solaris 11 Express, everything was fine execpt I can't create database using dbca.rsp file. I populated file with following options. OPERATION_TYPE = "createDatabase" GDBNAME = "solaris_user.domain.com" SID = "solaris_user" TEMPLATENAME = "General... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
0 Replies

4. Solaris

redirect solaris database from linux database..

hi.. i have a need .. my php runs on my linux redhat box with mysql.. i want my php code to refer another mysql database which is in solaris 10 x86... can u tell me the procedure .. how it can be done through php .. sorry am new to php... is it possible to redirect from linux mysql to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris system and database migration help

HI, let me explain you the current situation. We have three server with OS Solaris and oracle products. Following is the somewhat detail, 1st Server= oracle DB 2nd Server= Oracle Warehouse builder 3rd Server= Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Manager Question: these three... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migration

Hi all, Would appreciate advise on my situation. Currently server A is in production. Server A takes in data from Server X, does some processing and send to server Y. We are going to develop a different system in server B, something like an enhanced version of A. Server A will be retired once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

AS/U -> samba migration

Hi, I'm having some trouble finding a suitable howto for a migration process from asu to samba (both running on hpux). Does any kind of automated migration scripts exist? And if not: how to do that from hand? I did several researches at the company's knowledge base and on the internet but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Frank_S
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

migration

hi, is there any tool that i can use to update my scripts (SH scripts) form Unix to linux. please mention any useful websites. thanx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Migration

Is it possible to migrate a UNIX program and use it in a NetWare or Windows 2000 network? I have a client that must have one of those two operating systems for the new program that they want. However, they've been using an older UNIX program for about 7 years and they want to be able to refer to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: refram
7 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question