Login from browser

Special Forums Cybersecurity Login from browser
# 1  
Old 03-02-2005
Login from browser

I have developed a couple cgi scripts that run to access data on our Solaris box, and was wondering how I could implement some type of login (via the browser) that would allow the user to use there login + password from the Solaris box as well. There is sensitive information produced in the reports that are generated via the cgi scripts and need to have some kind of authentication via from the client side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
# 2  
Old 03-02-2005
Check the Apache FAQ and search for htaccess - also search this site for htaccess.
# 3  
Old 03-02-2005
You probably also want to enable SSL if the info is sensitive.
# 4  
Old 03-02-2005
Thank you for the reponses.. However after researching htaccess, it seems like you have to create a password file. Isn't there a way to use the System userid and password for this purpose, instead of having to maintain this information in another place as well?

Edit:
When I follow the instructions to create the .htpasswd file using:

htpasswd /dir path/password_file username

I don't get the prompt to enter a password, all I get is:

ksh: htpasswd: not found

???

Last edited by man; 03-02-2005 at 02:27 PM..
# 5  
Old 03-12-2005
is htpasswd in your path?
# 6  
Old 03-13-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by man
Thank you for the reponses.. However after researching htaccess, it seems like you have to create a password file. Isn't there a way to use the System userid and password for this purpose, instead of having to maintain this information in another place as well?
Maybe this will help:

http://pam.sourceforge.net/mod_auth_pam/

Don't know whether it will work on Solaris though.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can adding to a new group be effective in current login environment without re-login?

Hey folks, When a user is added to a new group, the user has to be log out and log in again to make the new group effective. Is there any system command or technique to refresh user group ID update without re-login? I am not talking about to use "login" or "su -l" commands which can only make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

iptables rule to block access from VM Browser to Firewall Login Page

(1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senrabdet
1 Replies

3. Solaris

X-browser Not able to login

Hi, I am in a problem. i have got Solaris 10 and Solaris 8 Machines with me. I have created many users on the servers. I login to solaris servers via putty and xbrowser from a windows desktop. With Putty all works well for all the users. Problem is that my 'abc' user is able to see the GUI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: varunksharma87
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Login to UNIX from the browser.

Hi All, I need to login to the UNIX server from the browser. can you please tell me the procedure? Thanks Sarwan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarwan
5 Replies

5. Solaris

error message rmclomv ... SC Login Failure for user Please login:

Hello World ~ HW : SUN Fire V240 OS : Solaris 8 Error message prompts 'rmclomv ... SC login failure ...' on terminal. and Error Message prompts continually 'SC Login Failure for user Please login:' on Single Mode(init S) The System is in normal operation, though In case of rain, Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lifegeek
1 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both, when... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
1 Replies

7. Web Development

APACHE: Tie in Web Page login with server login

Hello, I have created a web page on a server using apache and added .htaccess and .htpasswd in the folder for authentification. I was wondering if there was anyway to tie-in the login for this page with the login used to logon to the server. i.e. the same login info. is used for both,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhotheWhat
2 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

Browser Login instead of .htaccess popup

Hi, Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Anyway help I would appreciate. How do or or where would I find info (tried google but it's just a bit hard to understand & have no how to implement it). What I've got is a standard garden variety user registration form (php). It allows people to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justanob
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question