lynx --dump on site that needs username and password??

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting lynx --dump on site that needs username and password??
# 1  
Old 01-12-2010
lynx --dump on site that needs username and password??

I'm trying to use lynx --dump to keep an eye on updates for a website.

The site needs a username and password and I can't find a way to log in using lynx --dump

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance!
# 2  
Old 01-12-2010
I'd try wget instead of lynx. You can script it; use it to automatically post data to the login URL and save cookies(including session cookies, which otherwise expire in negative time somehow), then re-load cookies and download another URL.
# 3  
Old 01-12-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
I'd try wget instead of lynx. You can script it; use it to automatically post data to the login URL and save cookies(including session cookies, which otherwise expire in negative time somehow), then re-load cookies and download another URL.
Thanks for you reply but how do I do that?

I tried
Code:
wget --user=**** --password=**** "http.www.site.com/"

to no avail

Also there is a --post-data option for lynx that I can't seem to understand
# 4  
Old 01-12-2010
Like I said there's probably a form you need to post the username and password to. The --user and --pass options are for basic and digest authentication, not form-based things.

I wouldn't use lynx. It's a web browser. Besides this may be a two page operation, post data to one page, save cookies, load another page with the given cookies...

You'll need to inspect the source of the webpage to see what page to submit what data to, and the manpage of wget to see how to save and load cookies. For more detail I'd need to pick apart the source of the webpage myself.
# 5  
Old 01-12-2010
Quote:
Like I said there's probably a form you need to post the username and password to. The --user and --pass options are for basic and digest authentication, not form-based things.

I wouldn't use lynx. It's a web browser. Besides this may be a two page operation, post data to one page, save cookies, load another page with the given cookies...

You'll need to inspect the source of the webpage to see what page to submit what data to, and the manpage of wget to see how to save and load cookies. For more detail I'd need to pick apart the source of the webpage myself.
Thanks for your help. Once I've found the form in the source I won't know what to do with it. The webpage is torrentday.com
# 6  
Old 01-12-2010
That site is down.

As for what to do with it, well, fields in the form correspond to fields in the POST data, and 'action' is the URL the data needs to be sent to... something like "--post-data=username=ABCD&password=qwertyuiop"
# 7  
Old 01-13-2010
Quote:
That site is down.
It's only been down for 5 - 10 mins Smilie

Sod's Law I guess Smilie

EDIT:
Code:
wget --post-data=username=*****password=***** "http://www.torrentday.com/takelogin.php"

Ok, I tried the above but am not sure of the exact location of takelogin.php. Any ideas?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Need to crack username and password on laptop

I am not a computer geek but I recently was given a Dell Latitude c400 laptop which has Red Hat Linux 2.4.20-6 GRUB Version 0.93. First of all I have no clue how to even use this operating system and I was never given the username or password. Is there anyone out there who could possibly help me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: missfixit74
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Steps after username and password is entered !

Hi, I know this sounds crazy question.. but I am just curious to know what happens next when I enter username and password and hit enter on a new Unix session (using Putty)? I mean which file gets executed, how the default login shell is determined etc... regards juzz4fun (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you reset username/password

Picked up a 3b2 running System V. Works fine, but it requires a username and password. Is the username "root" or "sysadm"? How do I find out and how to I reset it or bypass it? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TanRuNomad
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Username and password

Hi I am new to using unix and am struggling with a script i am writing. What i am trying to do is get a user to enter a username, check the original file i created with username and pin to see if their is a corresponding entry. Next ask the user to enter the pin and see if this matches... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

input username and password interactively

Hi guys, I am using Solaris 10 and we install IBM OnDemand server there. there's a command called arsload that we use to load document and query document too. I need to write a script to query document but when querying document, this command prompt for username then password. My question is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markthien
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i hide username/password

hi all, i run sqlplus command on unix(HP-UX) like "sqlplus username/password@serverA @deneme.sql" but when someone run "ps -ef | grep sqlplus", it can see my username and password :( How can i hide username and password. thanx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: temhem
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to make fixtures table with lynx --dump and pipe filters

Hey, I'm trying to make a nice clear table of fixtures. lynx --dump Fixtures & Reports | Fixtures | Arsenal.com | tail -n+360 | less #tail to remove 1st 360 line I'm trying to remove the 'Add to Calendar' bit next I tried pipping through sed but not sure if I did it right sed 's/\Add... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 64mb
3 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Take all db dump with username and passowrd

Hi All I have mysql server,That have many Database with different username and password for each,How can i dump all database collectively,And then restore to an other mysql db sever . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[lynx dump] Order (by name/URL)

Hi :) How to use dump in lynx. $ lynx -dump http://www.google.com So, this is an example of a lynx dump: txt1 blabla Other txt some text 1. http://url_of_txt1 2. http://url_of_blabla 3. http://url_of_Other_txt 4. http://url_of_some_text ... How can i obtain this output? ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

username password in script

Can we write a script to telnet to a unix server from unix with the username and password hardcoded in the script?? something like ssh a@b -p password ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshanjain2
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question