pkgadd - already installed files, impact?

Operating Systems Solaris pkgadd - already installed files, impact?
# 1  
Old 01-26-2010
pkgadd - already installed files, impact?

whenever i add a package i almost always get a message about how some files are already installed and most of the time they are attribute only changes with some marked indicating conflicts.

can someone explain the impact of this? is this something i dont really need to worry about? what attributes does it refer to? does it relate to file security?

just not really sure how to evaluate the info there.

Thanks
# 2  
Old 01-26-2010
output please...
# 3  
Old 01-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich523
can someone explain the impact of this?
No big deal but on a production/sensitive system, you should check what the installer is precisely complaining of just in case there is a real security issue.
Quote:
is this something i dont really need to worry about?
I usually go ahead and let the installer do its stuff.
Quote:
what attributes does it refer to? does it relate to file security?
This generally applies to common directories defined in different packages with differing access permissions and/or owners/groups. They are often associated with third party open source packages, especially those that insist installing in bogus shared directories like /usr/local. They can also be due to a stricter permission setting than the regular one (OS hardening) and it that case, you should reapply it after the package or patch installation.
# 4  
Old 01-26-2010
Thanks Jlliagre,
here is the output i get.
Code:
used by another package:
  /usr/local/bin <attribute change only>
  /usr/local/doc <attribute change only>
* /usr/local/lib <attribute change only>
  /usr/local/share <attribute change only>
  /usr/local/share/man <attribute change only>
  /usr/local/share/man/man1 <attribute change only>

* - conflict with a file which does not belong to any package.

i would image the man stuff is no big deal but the attributes on bin lib and share are what im concerned about. especially lib because it says there is a conflict. how would i figure out what attribute changes its trying to make?

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 01-26-2010 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: code tags please!
# 5  
Old 01-26-2010
You can figure it by looking what the current permissions are (ls -ld xxx) and what the package is trying to do (Package pkgmap file) but as it is about /usr/local shared subdirectories, you'd rather just ignore the whole thing.
# 6  
Old 01-27-2010
thanks jlliagre, I dont fully understand the pkgmap. i dont have a utility called 'pkgmap' and from what i can tell the other tools dont dump that either. digging around i found plenty of refrences to what a pkgmap is but not how to pull one out of a package. could i get some more details please?

Thanks
# 7  
Old 01-28-2010
Each package contains a pkgmap file that states detailed information about every file/directory/link/... included in the package.

Your package can be in either a directory format inwhich case the pkgmap file is easy to locate by opening the package directory. It might also be in a single file format in which case you first need to convert it to the former format with something like:
Code:
pkgtrans somepackage.pkg .

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash find version of an installed application but if none is found set variable to App Not Installed

Hello Forum, I'm issuing a one line bash command to look for the version of an installed application and saving the result to a variable like so: APP=application --version But if the application is not installed I want to return to my variable that the Application is not installed. So I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
2 Replies

2. AIX

/var/spool/mail/<username> files' content wipeout impact

Hi Guys!!! ->I am using AIX 6.1. One of the file system full which is /var filesystem. ->/var total size is 5.00 GB. ->And inside the /var file system spool/mail folde is taking around 2.9 GB. ->There 3 big size of file as shown below, which shows that these files are taking more size.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjusharma128
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to create an rpm from installed files?

i would like to package up an rpm from pre-installed files, say i have a program called "widget" installed under "/opt/widget" /opt/widget/bin/* /opt/widget/lib/* /opt/widget/etc/* /opt/widget/log/* and i want to create an rpm from those already installed files, what would the spec file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melixir
2 Replies

4. AIX

OS change Impact

Hi, Does OS change affect the applications installed in AIX. I am new to UNIX and would like to know how OS change heppens. My specific issue: My machine is currently running with AIX 6 OS with lot of applications running. Requirement is to upgrade the OS to AIX 7.1, without affecting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradebban
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Stale lock installed for pkgadd

Any package that I try to install, is giving an error of 'lock': # pkgadd -d openssl-1.0.0g-sol10-sparc-local The following packages are available: 1 SMCossl openssl (sparc) 1.0.0g Select package(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process all packages).... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poyato
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Trouble with installed / not installed rpm unixODBC/libodbc.so.1

Hey there, i run 1: on my server (RHEL 6) and getting response that the libodbc is not installed. If i use yum for installation, it tells me, there is no package like this ( 2: ). Since in the description of Definiens is mentioned that the Run-time dependency is unixODBC (libodbc.so.1), I assume... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkirsten
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Impact of zero link count files in proc

Greetings I want to confirm about HUGE and old files with linkcount 0 in proc file system. what is their impact on size of root File system? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_os
3 Replies

8. Solaris

How to mount a Files System where RHEL is installed on a Sun server Machine..

Hi Everyone, I have a machine where RHEL(Red Hat Enterprise Linux) is installed and few of our products are saved on the same. Our products work only on sparc 6 + and i want to basically asve the products on the machine which has RHEL installed on it and mount the drive on the sun server and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have a SGI Impact 10,000 what should i do with it?

I have one of these machines i just aquired. http://www.sgi.com/products/legacy/p...go2_indigo.pdf What should i do with it id love to configure a OS on it but im a noob to unix. I want to be able to configure the OS then be able to ssh (think thats what iots called) into it and learn how to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: VenomXt
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

impact printer problem

We are trying to setup an impact printer - Tally t2030 on our unix server digital unix 4.0D. It skips half the first page of every print both from our application and the unix level. It starts the 2nd half of the page at the top of the 2nd physical paper in the printer. The printer uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question