Operating Systems Linux Red Hat DNS priority
# 1  
Old 07-09-2009
DNS priority

Hi All,

Is this correct on DNS searching?

(1st priority) /etc/hosts
(2nd p.) /etc/resolv.conf

Are there more things that I didn't know?

Thank you for any comments you may add.
# 2  
Old 07-09-2009
check your nsswitch file. The priority can be changed based on that.
# 3  
Old 07-09-2009
I don't know what hosts has to do with DNS!
# 4  
Old 07-09-2009
I think he is using DNS to mean any hostname resolution. It is a common mistake, but however, you are right.

he wants to make sure, it seems, that the hostname resolution works from files then network.
# 5  
Old 07-09-2009
That's clear. My statement what somewhat rash - sorry for that.

To answer the question "DNS searching": resolv.conf trumps hosts.

To answer the question "is there anything else I don't know"... it depends what you want to know, really.
# 6  
Old 07-09-2009
resolv.conf does not necessarily trump hosts if nsswitch.conf specifies otherwise Smilie.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies

2. Red Hat

The priority of the log

Hi, I can't find the priority in my logs, which under the catalogue of /var/log/lmessages. For example, if the log below occur on my machine, there is no <30>. What should I do if I want to see <30> . <30>Oct 9 22:33:20 hlfedora auditd: The audit daemon is exiting. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhaoyy
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

DHCP & DNS - Clients get IP but don't register in DNS

I am trying to setup a CentOS 6.2 server that will be doing 3 things DHCP, DNS & Samba for a very small office (2 users). The idea being this will replace a very old Win2k server. The users are all windows based clients so only the server will be Linux based. I've installed CentOS 6.2 with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FireBIade
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

DNS A-Record point to another DNS

Hi, I have a question on how to point the DNS server-1's A-record to second DNS server, which is DNS server-2. So, the computer can access other domain which only listed in the DNS server-2. The scenario is as follow: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6333/12234.png How to configure this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paris Heng
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

6. AIX

priority for process

hi how to change the priority of a process for eg.if a,b,c these there process are running and if i have to give the b process as high priority and high severe level what should i do (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
3 Replies

7. Programming

kill priority

hello everybody! i would like to post a question. If i embed in my C code the command kill(9,pid) inside an if command. Is this command(kill) executed in any way. Both if the if is true and false. Does kill have greater priority than the if command. thanx in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicos
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help me with this ..High Priority!

Hi, I am a nw bie to Schell Scripting, i have a same king of requirement as posted above. my input file is also a log file as below..... 28.05.2008 07:02:56,105 INFO Validation request recieved 28.05.2008 07:03:57,856 INFO 0:01:13.998 Response sent with: <?xml version="1.0"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_gopal
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

10. Programming

Changing the priority of a program

I have the following code in a file: task ph_cause_sound() { char sys_call; int ret_val; sprintf (sys_call, "/usr/local/bin/test_sound "); ret_val = system(sys_call); } test_sound is a script file that contains one line: nice --20 /usr/local/bin/vmod4dSOUND What is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddog0606
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question