Understanding traceroutes

Special Forums IP Networking Understanding traceroutes
# 1  
Old 03-14-2005
Understanding traceroutes

Wow, bright colors.

Hi,

I lease a dedicated server and it's usually fine. However, lately it seems slow. The hosting company says all is well, my isp says all is well (and it appears so using this), and yet the fastest file transfer I can get is 40kbs or thereabouts.

I ran a trace from the server to my own ip and the results seem to match this

http://network-tools.com/default.asp...=207.36.86.166
Starts bogging down near qwest.net

This one, however, is more in line with my windows trace, kinda uninformative (at the time I'm typing this there were no results).

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/tracer...=207.36.86.166
[4 hops with no response; assuming we hit a firewall that blocks pings]

The host tech support is only two hops from the server so naturally there isn't much to get in the way.

So, the question is, what can we infer from these results and is there anything I can do about any of it? I do 3 and 4 gig file transfers and I need all the speed I can get.

Thanks for your insights.
# 2  
Old 03-14-2005
What speeds should you be able to get?

Also, does this speed vary depending on the time of day? Have you ever been able to transfer at faster then 40kbs?
# 3  
Old 03-14-2005
Hi woofie, thanks for your reply.

Normally I pull in 300 to 350 kbs, and I can do a 4 gb file in a couple hours (that's download - a pox on the inventor of ADSL).

As for variance, the load is spread surprisingly evenly around the clock, with maybe a slight increase in traffic from after school hours into prime time evening US EST (that is, now).

What I've been doing is creating backups in ISO format, then download the single ISO files as opposed to trying to sift and sort through twenty thousand files to see which have been updated and which haven't. The last successful run of the backup was just early last week, but since that time things have really slowed - I noticed it in particular over the weekend because I had occassion to redo one of the backups but couldn't download it. I waited a couple days to see if the problem would clear and when it didn't, I called the hosting company and my isp.

It's interesting, though, that this afternoon when I tested again, the file transfer begins slow but then builds up to about 250kbs. And while I can appreciate the change, there is definitely something wrong compared to just two weeks ago. Normally, I'd start a transfer, and boom it was 300+ kbs, and I'd let it work overnight.

The only other thing of note is that the overall server traffic has increased 10x over the past couple months. Back in January and February the extra traffic didn't seem to affect anything. But I thought, what the hey, and I took the popular items offline in order to see if there'd be improved performance. There wasn't. And tho I use the large files as examples, you can notice the sluggishness when just visiting sites hosted on the server.

netstat and the logs don't show any unusual activity.

If I can speculate, I'd guess there's been routing changes. And if that's the case, I don't know if there's anything I can do about it except change hosts.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your help in understanding this

Hi, I found this in a script and I would like to know how this works Code is here: # var1=PART1_PART2 # var2=${var1##*_} # echo $var2 PART2 I'm wondering how ##* makes the Shell to understand to pick up the last value from the given. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathyaonnuix
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with understanding of alias

Hi, I saw the following explanation about alias in bash from gnu website, but I didn't get the meaning: Bash always reads at least one complete line of input before executing any of the commands on that line. Aliases are expanded when a command is read, not when it is executed. Therefore, an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roy987
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding the script

Hi Guys, I am new to scripting , I am trying to rebuild a script based on an old script. Can someone help me figure out what the script is doing? This is only a part of the script. I am looking to interpret these two points in the scripts:- 1) test=`echo $?` while I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding a regex

Hi, Please help me to understand the bold segments in the below regex. Both are of same type whose meaning I am looking for. find . \( -iregex './\{6,10\}./src' \) -type d -maxdepth 2 Output: ./20111210.0/src In continuation to above: sed -e 's|./\(*.\{1,3\}\).*|\1|g' Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding <<EOF

Hi all I stuck with a problem. I want to understand the execution of the below code. Can any one please help me `sqlplus username/passwd@DB << EOF set serveroutput on declare begin sql_query; end; / commit / quit EOF` My ques is why do we use EOF and how does it help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding permissions

Hi, I just installed wordpress on localhost, and I have some issues with permissions here. I recently switched to linux, so I'm still learning things. While I'm installing linux, I can't ( that is wordpress can't ) make file wp-config.php in directory I want to install it /var/www/wordpress ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zdorian
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding {%/*}/

Hi Gurus: I am trying to understand the following line of code.I did enough of googling to understand but no luck.Please help me understand the follow chunk of code: X=$0 MOD=${X%/*}/env.ksh X is the current script from which I am trying to execute. Say if X=test.ksh $MOD is echoing :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vemana
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for understanding of script

# sub: find block (in cols), return line-numbers (begin-end) or 0 if notfound sub findb{ my ($exp1,$col1,$exp2,$col2)= @_; # $exp = expression to find, $col - column to search in my $cnt=0; my ($val1,$val2); my ($beg,$end); for($cnt=1;$cnt<=65536;$cnt++){ $val1 =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suvenduperl
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help understanding mv

I just started shell coding and I'm a bit confused on how 'mv' works can someone explain to me how it works and if i did this correctly. Thanks. echo "Enter Name of the first file:" read file1 #echo $file1 if ; then echo "Sorry, file does not exist." exit 1 ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
16 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question