Sun - RAID

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sun - RAID
# 1  
Old 12-05-2007
Sun - RAID

From what I have been finding on the net is that most all Sun RAID setups are software? Is it really that uncommon for Sun servers to have hardware RAID?
# 2  
Old 12-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdbag
From what I have been finding on the net is that most all Sun RAID setups are software? Is it really that uncommon for Sun servers to have hardware RAID?
Not at all, there's loads of hardware raid implementations that work on Sun gear. It's just SCSI or FC after all.

Sun sell a bunch of kit that can do RAID also (but I have little experiance with it as we largly use SAN and software raid on the internal disks).
# 3  
Old 12-05-2007
Yea, I got my hands on an old e450 that I want to use as a backup server and it seems like it doesn't have hardware raid on it... I'm going to have to do it by software.
# 4  
Old 12-05-2007
Hi there,

I think the Sun software RAID works pretty well. We use Solaris Volume Manager to set up RAID 1+0 on a heavily used db server and it works fine.

In fact we are not using the built-in RAID capabilities on the attached storage arrays as we wanted dual redundancy over both units (using SVM to bolt together the presented LUNs).

Had not problems with it at all both in work and at home to be honest.

Si
# 5  
Old 12-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Dragon
Not at all, there's loads of hardware raid implementations that work on Sun gear. It's just SCSI or FC after all.
yes, the SUN V440 servers come with hardware raid.
can be setup with the raidctl command.

most people find the software raid to be more flexable and so use that insted.

SUN's software raid is called SVM (Solaris Volume Manager)
Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide
# 6  
Old 12-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdbag
Yea, I got my hands on an old e450 that I want to use as a backup server and it seems like it doesn't have hardware raid on it... I'm going to have to do it by software.
go for solaris 10 and use ZFS to build your raid... it can't be any easier!
# 7  
Old 12-06-2007
Yea, I was reading that 10 is cake for setting up software RAID.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Hardware RAID not recognize the new disk [Sun T6320]

We have hardware RAID configured on Sun-Blade-T6320 and one of the disk got failed. Hence we replaced the failed disk. But the hot swapped disk not recognized by RAID. Kindly help on fixing this issue. We have 2 LDOM configured on this server and this server running on single disk. #... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock123
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Sun V240 Raid Question

Hi All, I'm new to this site. I have a few question since I'm in the process how to to repair my raid on Sun V240 Server. 1. How can we create RAID in Sun Sparc v240? 2. What utility can help people create RAID in Sun Sparc v240? 3. Do we need any special software to create the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: angkor
12 Replies

3. Hardware

Sun T3-1 hardware RAID

Hi all I've just received my T3-1. It has 8 disks and I would like to configure RAID1 on the disks. The Sun documentation states that you can either use the OpenBoot PROMP utility called Fcode or you can use software via the Solaris OS. The documentation doesn't make it clear if: 1. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
6 Replies

4. Hardware

Hardware RAID on Sun T2000 Server

Hi All I have a Sun T2000 server. Couple of years ago I had configured and mirrored the boot drive with an other drive using hardware RAID 1 using raidctl command. Following is the hardware RAID output. root@oracledatabaseserver / $ raidctl RAID Volume RAID RAID Disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Add new disk to Sun StorEdge 3310 RAID

HI guys. Bit of a noob so bear with me. I have 2 new disks I want to add to my StorEdge 3310 but am getting lost in the steps. We have another 3310 (JBOD) that I was able to plug the disks into and they instantly showed up. Did a few minor commands after (drvconfig, devfsadm etc..) and I was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Sun X-series - Raid/Volumes

Hi, Does anyone know of another tool/software to view the underlying disk config (raid volume) in the BIOS from the Solaris OS ? Tried raidctl but does not show info.. Thanks in advance, Gary... ---------- Post updated at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:14 AM ---------- ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gt71027
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Sun T5120 hardware RAID question

Hi everyone I've just purchased a Sun T5120 server with 2 internal disks. I've configured hardware RAID (mirror) and as a result the device tree in Solaris only contains 1 hard drive. My question is, how would I know when one of the drives become faulty? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to Monitor raid staus --Sun Volume manager

We use Sun Volume manager to mirror root disks and other local disks... Is there any script to monitor raid status across all machines send output thru email? Help is appreciated. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriny
1 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Starting sun raid manager for A1000

Can anyone tell me the syntax for starting Raid manager on a A1000? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question