Change the numbers

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change the numbers
# 1  
Old 04-28-2014
Change the numbers

Hi friends,

i need a command which can be used to change the values in file.
I have file which contain some values.

Code:
Data_Center_costing=XXXX
Financial_loss=XXXX
operational_cost=XXX

I am not aware about the values of XXXX, They may be 4 digit or less/more than that. but i need these values to be fixed as below
Code:
Data_Center_costing=205
Financial_loss=45
operational_cost=78

Can anyone help me?
# 2  
Old 04-28-2014
try
Code:
sed 's/^Data_Center_costing.*/Data_Center_costing=205/' input_file
sed 's/^Financial_loss.*/Financial_loss=45/' input_file
sed 's/^operational_cost.*/operational_cost=78/' input_file

Last edited by Makarand Dodmis; 04-28-2014 at 08:34 AM..
# 3  
Old 04-28-2014
Thanks for your reply. But they are not working.
Also i want to make the changes into same file. I believe sed only gives monitor display of changes
# 4  
Old 04-28-2014
to maintain original file

Code:
sed 's/^Data_Center_costing.*/Data_Center_costing=205/' input_file1 | sed 's/^Financial_loss.*/Financial_loss=45/' | sed 's/^operational_cost.*/operational_cost=78/' >> input_file2

mv input_file2 input_file1

What OS you are working on?
try
Code:
sed -i

It is giving me expected result on Solaris ksh
# 5  
Old 04-28-2014
Hello,

Following may help you.

Code:
awk -F"=" 'NR==1{$2="205"} NR==2{$2="45"} NR==3{$2="78"} 1' OFS="\=" check_change_values_check1211

Output will be as follows.

Code:
Data_Center_costing=205
Financial_loss=45
operational_cost=78

Thanks,
R. Singh
# 6  
Old 04-28-2014
use:
Code:
sed -i

# 7  
Old 04-28-2014
hi ravinder,

These lines are selective lines from file. actual file contain 100s of lines. I just want to change these 3 values.
Is your code helpful in this case.?

Hi Makarand,

I already tried sed -i some days before. My OS dont support it. It says illegal option
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Decimal numbers and letters in the same collums: round numbers

Hi! I found and then adapt the code for my pipeline... awk -F"," -vOFS="," '{printf "%0.2f %0.f\n",$2,$4}' xxx > yyy I add -F"," -vOFS="," (for input and output as csv file) and I change the columns and the number of decimal... It works but I have also some problems... here my columns ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: echo manolis
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change numbers

Hallo This is the content of the file 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 And I want the following output 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thailand
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to take file numbers from a file, pass them to sed to change strings in corresponding lines

I have a bunch of file numbers in the file 'test': I'm trying the above command to change all the instances of "H" to "Na+" in the file testsds.pdb at the line numbers indicated in the file 'test'. I've tried the following and various similar alternatives but nothing is working: cat test |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change numbers in flat file

Hi, I have some datatexts with values and I want to replace only the values of the first file with the result of array loaded in one variable. Also I want the operation difference with the original value replaced and only replace the new value not the character format of the file. Some Idea?... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: faka
24 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding change in column numbers after some commands

Hi All, I was using some commands to: replace a column by a constant string character awk -v a=CA 'NF>1{ $3=a; print; } ' $line>$line"_1" to copy a column and paste it in another place awk '$5=$2" "$5' $line>$line"_2" to delete the extra columns awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change numbers in a file, incrementing them

Hello, Here's a file of mine: key1:431 key2:159 key3:998 I need to change these keys to something bigger - and I actually need to shift them all by a range of 3. The output would be: key1:434 key2:162 key3:1001 I can't find the propper sed/awk line that would alter all my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzd
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file

Hello All, I am having problem to find what is the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file. I am having file with thousands of lines and hundreds of columns. I am familiar mainly with bash but I am open to whatever suggestion witch will lead to the solutions. If I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apfik
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

read numbers from file and output which numbers belongs to which range

Howdy experts, We have some ranges of number which belongs to particual group as below. GroupNo StartRange EndRange Group0125 935300 935399 Group2006 935400 935476 937430 937459 Group0324 935477 935549 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

9. AIX

how do I change major-minor numbers of disk devices

Good evening ... does anyone of you know how to change major/minor numbers of disk devices ? I had to migrate from raid1 to raid5 and this messed up my ASM cluster - I know which devices should have which IDs to match the content - but I have no idea how to change it. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change filename with numbers

ok, this one is definitely too hard for my shell-script-skills. Hopefully, there is somebody who can help me with this: I have a folder with files in it named 0.ppm 10.ppm 2.ppm ... 5.ppm 50.ppm 55.ppm ... 355.ppm 360.ppm etc. As you will notice, the order in which the files are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: silversurfer202
5 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question