Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ypcat group, ypcat passwd
# 1  
Old 04-11-2009
ypcat group, ypcat passwd

When i run the following command on our server
ypcat group
or
ypcat passwd

I get list of groups and users respectively.
I am not sure whether this list is only for the groups or users on the particular server on which i executed the command or all the groups and users on all the servers in the corporate.

And i also see /etc/group and /etc/passwd on server

Appreciate your response.
# 2  
Old 04-11-2009
This should list all the users and groups in the NIS domain, (run domainname(1m) to find out what it is called) all NIS clients in that domain should list the same users and groups. Running ypwhich(1) will tell you the name of the NIS master server.
# 3  
Old 04-11-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyFullerMalv
This should list all the users and groups in the NIS domain, (run domainname(1m) to find out what it is called) all NIS clients in that domain should list the same users and groups. Running ypwhich(1) will tell you the name of the NIS master server.

Thanks for the reply.
I will try this on monday and let you know.

Appreciate your response.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Conflicting GID in group and passwd files.

Hi guys, I have a question. In the passwd file, user johndoe has a GID of 100 which is the group named users in the group file. But if you check the group file, johndoe is not listed under GID 100, but under GID 33, which is the group named videos. Under what group does johndoe really belong,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goldenlight1814
1 Replies

2. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between passwd and group

Hi, I have a passwd file with 3 users belonging to the the root group (gid=0), but the group file does not list these users as members of the root group? Shoud I be worried and apart from manually changing it, how can it be remediated? thx Norgaard (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Norgaard
1 Replies

5. Solaris

ypcat ipnodes not working

When I try to get ipnodes it says "no such map in server's NIS domain" but for other maps its working. Then my query is if map is not there why it shows the entry when I "ypcat -x" adroit:/home/seo/hitendra 37 ] ypcat -x Use "passwd" for map "passwd.byname" Use "group" for map... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding group and passwd

Hi, I am checking who belong to the dba group , and found that oracle and autosys users are part of this group cat /etc/group | grep dba dba::400:oracle,autosys I thought to found user autosys under group 400 togther with user oracle , but found it in group 1000 as you can see bellow.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ypmatch,ypcat,NIS

Hi I am moving from shell scripting part to network shell scripting. Can some one give me basic idea for all network related commands like ypmatch,ypcat,NIS etc... Documentation wiil be highly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siquadri
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is it really not possible for me to edit the etc/group & the etc/passwd files?

From what I have read it possible to create a new group by editing the etc/group and etc/passwd in UNIX two files but a non-experienced user may face many problems such as destroying the file by mistake ot that his changes to these file does not make any difference. However, there is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatev3r
2 Replies

9. Linux

Using NIS-ypmatch, ypcat, Lname, Gname to get username/key

Hello, We can get the full info by typing: ypmatch username passwd aaaa : yyyy: ... ... : LastName Gname : ... ... However, I'd like to know how could we get the username based on LastName and Given name please? Thanks a lot, ly (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: test111111
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep group and passwd file

How can I find find all members in the /etc/password file that belong to the dba group in the /etc/group file? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mozartny
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question