Triming spaces few columns

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Triming spaces few columns
# 1  
Old 12-29-2011
Triming spaces few columns

File contains 10 columns,i want trim the 2,4,10 columns using single unix command.
Please suggest me how to do?

Thanks
# 2  
Old 12-29-2011
Neither title nor the description clears your requirement (at least to me).
Please post sample data and required output.

How the columns are separated?
# 3  
Old 12-29-2011
Excluding the header row,only data.
# 4  
Old 12-29-2011
You need to specify how each column is separated. Is it space or comma or pipe?
Assuming default field separator:
Code:
awk '{$2=$4=$10=""; print}' input

# 5  
Old 12-29-2011
Sample data file test1.txt

Code:
CCNI | data564_input1 | 264 | CCNI | data564_input1 |264
ccni| data564_input1    
CORO1A|155

i tried with above data not triming the spaces.
# 6  
Old 12-29-2011
Hi bmk,

Your file seems irregular. All lines have different number of columns. What about trimming spaces from fourth field if only exists two?

Regards,
Birei.
# 7  
Old 12-29-2011
Just i want trim the space specific columns,it not necessary to check the 4 th column is there or not.
Just trim....
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print columns with text and spaces

Hi, I'm using awk to print columns from a tab delimited text file: awk '{print " "$2" "$3" $6"}' file The problem I have is column 6 contains text with spaces etc which means awk only prints the first word. How can I tell awk to print the whole column content as column 6? Thanks, (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: keenboy100
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove spaces between the columns in UNIX script?.

Hi guru's, I am trying to write a script to generate a csv file by connecting to database run a query and put the values into csv file. But the problem i face is i am getting lot of space after one value.how can i remove those values?. Please help. #!/bin/bash export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karingulanagara
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triming a string

Hi i have an input " load /appss/asdfas/... I want to take the string present between first / / i.e appss Input is "load /appss/asdfas/..." Expected output is appss Thanks in advance Ananth (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print columns with spaces

Hi All I've a file which is similar to the one given below column1 coulmn2 column3 column4 A B C D X Y F G H I would like to get it in this format A|B|C|D ||X|Y F||G|H Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celvin VK
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge 2 columns/remove specific spaces

Hi, I have a requirement to remove certain spaces from a table of information, but I'm unsure where to start. A typical table will be like this: ABCDE 1 Elton John 25 12 15 9 3 ABCDE 2 Oasis 29 13 4 6 9 ABCDE 3 The Rolling Stones 55 19 3 8 6The goal is to remove only the spaces between... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: danhodges99
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert rows (with spaces) to columns

Hey all, I have a list in the format ; variable length with spaces more variable information some more variable information and I would like to transform that 'column' into rows ; variable length with spaces more variable information some more variable information Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format data to columns addind spaces

Hi all, I have a problem to format data from different database queries into one look. The input data are as follows, every line has the same number of values but a different number of characters: adata, bdata, cdata, ddata fffdata, gdata, hdata, idata jdata, kdata, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: old_mike
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triming spaces for any variable

Hi, I want to trim the spaces on left side of the variable value. For eg: if it is 4 spaces followed by value, All the spaces on the left should be supressed. Easy but want it quickly. Regards, Shiv@jad (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiv@jad
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove spaces from columns

I have a file with only one field something like this : 213.45 220.65 240.47 345.67 320.45 I want to remove all spaces in between. Is there any unix command for that ?Thanks in advance.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacks
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces betweent columns

Hello Friends, Can any one help me with this issue: I would like to format a file: say if I have rows like: 4512 , SMITH , I-28984 ,, 4324 , 4343 42312 , SMITH , I-2EE8984 ,, 432E4E4 , 4343 I would like to have the output diaplayed like : 4512... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
8 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question