Sendmail adding .org after some addresses

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sendmail adding .org after some addresses
# 1  
Old 09-25-2011
Question Sendmail adding .org after some addresses

Hello,
We run a mailing list and on our server sendmail is adding .org after some addresses, e.g. the first and third entries below in the process listing
Code:
root      1528  0.0  0.1  11764  6524 ?        Ss   Sep21   0:01  sendmail: ./p8NMgM0X031218 dimaventures.com.org.: user open 
root       825  0.0  0.1  11796  6872 ?        Ss   Sep23   0:00  sendmail: ./p8MMBTHR000323 alltel.net.: user open 
root     31759  0.0  0.1  11752  7008 ?        Ss   Sep23   0:00  sendmail: ./p8NITSQI029831 wrightinst.edu.org.: user open

Could this be related to the "subdomain name $m = org" as in the sendmail config below? If so, why does it adds .org only to some addresses?
Code:
# sendmail -d0.1 -bv 
 Version 8.13.8 
  Compiled with: DNSMAP HESIOD HES_GETMAILHOST LDAPMAP LOG MAP_REGEX 
                 MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7 NAMED_BIND NETINET 
 NETINET6 
                 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SASLv2 SCANF SOCKETMAP 
 STARTTLS 
                 TCPWRAPPERS USERDB USE_LDAP_INIT 

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============ 
       (short domain name) $w = foobar 
   (canonical domain name) $j = foobar.org 
          (subdomain name) $m = org 
               (node name) $k = foobar.org 
 ========================================================

If this is the problem, how do I fix this? We have a single host in our organization, so it's not host1.foobar.org, host2.foobar.org. It's just foobar.org.

Also, some sendmail processes have been around for more than two days (e.g. the first process in the process listing above). How do I make sure that a process does its job and not hangs around.

Thanks for your help!
# 2  
Old 09-30-2011
Looking at sendmail.cf :

It think that the "DM" (domain masquerade) parameter should be "foobar.org" not just "org", and the "Dk" parameter should be left blank or set to the name of the node (not a domain).
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris - Sendmail - Adding .com.gr in external senders e-mails

Hello Everybody ! I'm Harry from Athens Greece and i have a problem with my Sendmail 8.13.3 installed on Solaris SunOS ultra 5.10. The problem is that when someone sends to us an e-mail and his e-mail address is like : xxxx@xxxx.com, our e-mail server adds up in the senders address a .com.gr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mcasim
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail K command regex: adding exclusion/negative lookahead to regex -a@MATCH

I'm trying to get some exclusions into our sendmail regular expression for the K command. The following configuration & regex works: LOCAL_CONFIG # Kcheckaddress regex -a@MATCH +<@+?\.++?\.(us|info|to|br|bid|cn|ru) LOCAL_RULESETS SLocal_check_mail # check address against various regex... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobbieTheK
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Sendmail - relay Host unknown since adding dns

Hi ever since we´ve added the server in DNS, sendmail stopped working, but everything seems to be configured properly although in the mail logs we see: Jul 10 16:52:58 itc01 sendmail: t6AEqrHT005593: from=root, size=6, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<201507101452.t6AEqrHT005593@itc01.headquarter.tmm>,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail with cat adding extra spaces in email body

when I try to read a file and send email using cat and sendmail: The email received having additional spaces.(Between the letters of words in the text) My code: export MAILTO="sa@y.com" export SUBJECT="mydomain PREPROD MONITOR AT ${DATE}" export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitsany
5 Replies

6. AIX

Sendmail on AIX adding header rewrite

Hi, I have been having issues with sendmail service on the AIX server recently with header rewrite on few random email generated from the scripts or programs. I'm not sure what is causing as rest of the emails from the sever is generating correctly? AIX Server --> GATEWAY SERVER(Serv2smtp)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: musu1982
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Sendmail - Masquerading multiple domains with different addresses

Hello Friends, I am running Sendmail 8.14 on rhel6. I have one simple question regarding domain masquerading, i would want to masquerade different domains with different addresses. By that what i mean is that lets say i have 3 domains as home.com, example.com, test.com and i would want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rohit Bhanot
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sendmail script throwing an error "No recipient addresses found in header"

Hi, I am using following code to send an e-mail with attachment and body. echo "To: user1@mail.com,user2@mail.com" > mail.tmp echo "Cc: user3@mail.com,user4@mail.com" >> mail.tmp echo "From: group@mail.com" >> mail.tmp echo "Subject: my report" >> mail.tmp echo "please see as attached"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek_damodaran
6 Replies

9. Solaris

sendmail and unqualified addresses

I have a solaris 10 server running sendmail 8.13.8, configuration file V10. On another server I am able to send local emails without appending a domain name but on this server I cannot. The mail does not bounce, the log file says they are sent, but they are not delivered. There isn't a problem... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
10 Replies

10. IP Networking

Adding a New IP Addresses to a SCO Unix Box

I tried the search and didn't come up with an answer to my question so I decided I'd post it.... How do you add a new IP address to a SCO Unix box? We're adding a router and I need to add the IP address to the UNIX box for the system to find it.. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dman110168
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question