Debugging a service in AIX 5.3

Operating Systems AIX Debugging a service in AIX 5.3
# 1  
Old 08-18-2008
Debugging a service in AIX 5.3

Hi,

I am a newbie on the AIX front....I am at present faced with a problem of a service eating up my client's CPU. To be more specific....My client uses backup exec for backing up (v 12.0). The moment I start a backup the beremote.exe (backup exec remote agent for unix, RALUS) service uses around 80% - 90% of the CPU and this is no matter what we backup. I have tried installing an older version of the beremote (v 11d) and trying a backup but it exhibits the same behaviour. The only thing he has installed on this machine is DB2.

He normally cancels the job the moment the CPU usage goes up as his users might be affected. Therefore, I am not sure whether this will crash the system.

Basically, I wanted help on knowing how can we isolate the problem. Using core dump analysis, probably?
# 2  
Old 08-18-2008
Do you backup your AIX server to a Windows Server with Symantec (former Veritas) Backup Exec? In this case you should own a license that entitles you to support and I'd ask Symantec to solve your problem.

However, as an AIX admin who's customer is tight I'd simply use the Workload Manager to set that agent to a fixed CPU limit. Find out how much CPU the application needs and give only the rest to the agent. WLM comes with AIX since 4.3.3 at no further cost.
# 3  
Old 08-18-2008
Shockneck, thanks for the information....I was planning to contact symantec in case I am not able to find anything.... Smilie....the main problem is that I am filling in for a colleague who is actually the AIX admin... I will try the Workload manager, but in case I assign a fixed cpu limit and beremote does not like it, hopefully, beremote will crash and it should not affect anything else??
# 4  
Old 08-18-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkn1979
[...] in case I assign a fixed cpu limit and beremote does not like it, hopefully, beremote will crash and it should not affect anything else??
If the agent dumps core it should not affect anything else.

Btw. you will probably like this little workshop:
Setting up AIX Workload Manager in 30 minutes
# 5  
Old 08-18-2008
thanks a lot buddy, the article on WLM is a big help....
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

The good memory debugging tool in AIX ?

Hi, What's the good open-source debugger & memory analyzer for C programs in AIX ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SteAlma
4 Replies

2. AIX

Need help on patrol agent service in AIX

Hi, Anyone know what is patrol agent service in aix If know please tell me the command to check the same. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
4 Replies

3. AIX

Help activating http service on AIX

Am new to AIX 5.1 and we have our production database running on it. I need to activate HTTP service so that i can connect to the database's Enterprise manager from my workstation's web browser. can anyone help me with how to activate HTTP service on AIX 5.1 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachay
9 Replies

4. AIX

service status in AIX

good afternoon to all hay i m new in AIX. my problem is that.....plz tell me how to see " service status" in AIX Becoz i run /etc/rc.d/rc.2/Sbesclientd so its show below like this bash-3.2$ sudo /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/SBESClientd status Usage: /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/SBESClientd { start | stop } I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: life008
2 Replies

5. AIX

Short Message Service from AIX

Hi AIX Guru's, I am a bit new to this AIX stuff . Does anyone of you know how to send SMS messages from an AIX box. We are able to send emails to the internet from this AIX box , and I was hoping sending SMS's would be something similar Any help would be greatly appreciated . Please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smdasim
4 Replies

6. AIX

Urgent!! Debugging tool for cobol in AIX

hi folks, I am a new to Aix, i worked as sys admin so no idea about software probs, my software team requires Debugging tool for cobol in AIX machine. can someone tell me the tool and also the installation procedure for the same Please drag me out from this soon :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atulgkwd
1 Replies

7. AIX

AIX Service Packs

Can anyone out there let me know what is the *common* Technology Level and Service Pack that everyone is at? I am at 5300-06-04-0748 on all of my LPARs. Also- does anyone have any guidelinies to rolling out new TL and Sps? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seacros
4 Replies

8. AIX

Latest AIX Service Pack

Hello, I am trying to install Oracle 11g on my AIX server and it requires at a minimum OS level 5300-05-06. I am currently at 5300-05-01. What do I need to upgrade this? Where can I get this sp? What are the step to install this? I am a DBA not sysadmin. We no longer have a sysadmin. Lucky... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
4 Replies

9. Programming

Debugging 64bit code with gdb and ddd in AIX

I'm trying to use the GDB debugger and DDD to debug 64bit code. It seems that the AIX toolkit gdb version 6.0 works with 64bit code. But the ddd tool when running gdb gives the following errors : Starting program: <my binary> <my params> warning: "": not in executable format: There is an input... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bean66
2 Replies

10. AIX

Aix - Service Pack

I've recently installed ServicePack1 for Tecnology_Level 9 of AIX 5.2 . The result of installation is "OK" but with oslevel -s i dont see the service pack installed .... after many research i try (with many luck!!) instfix -i|grep SP and the result : All filesets for 5200-08-01_SP... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BabylonRocker
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question