Invoking VI editor

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Invoking VI editor
# 1  
Old 11-09-2011
Invoking VI editor

Hi,
I'm using Linux through F-Secure. The VI editor I use doesnt support the syntax highlighter. Is there any way to invoke it?

Thanks in advance
Ananth
# 2  
Old 11-09-2011
Try
Code:
:syntax on

See if that helps.

Last edited by de_day; 11-09-2011 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Added code tags.
# 3  
Old 11-09-2011
No man. it is not working
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

invoking script

hi all, is there a way to run a script upon invoking an application . for eg if i click on mozilla i want a script to run , before runniing mozilla , maybe ask a password or something only then open mozilla (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mithun1!
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking SP through Anonymous Block

Hi, I'm writing a Shell script to run a stored procedure through SQL*Plus using the below script and it works well. Test.sh $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus connect user/pwd@dbname @Test.sql Test.sql call sp_test_procedure() Now, similarly I want to run the below PL/SQL anonymous block... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dev_Dev
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking a script

I am new to Unix. Could some tell me what are all the possible ways of invoking/executing a script, doesnt matter which shell you are in. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
4 Replies

4. Linux

Help needed for invoking an exe

Hello, Thank you for reading my Thread. I am very very new to Perl / Shell Scripting here. I m assigned some tasks here. I have an exe file on our server. I have to navigate to the path and invoke the exe file. Can someone please guide me with that. Thanks you, Skaranth (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skaranth
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Invoking a program in a loop

In the following script, I wish to invoke a compiled C++ program, consimv4 and pass it some command line arguments through the shell script's command line arguments and variables. But for some reason, when I run the script, I just return to the shell prompt and nothing happens. For the life of me,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: msaqib
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with invoking sed from a script

Hello I have a .sh script that needs to take a template and replace zzz in the template file with the user's name. I cannot figure out how to make the following work from my script (works from the command prompt) but not when I put it inside a *.sh script sed 's/xxx/$USER/g' template.conf >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasiolas
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :Licen

Epic Editor was not able to obtain a license for your use. Feature Epic Editor :License server is down (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

10. Programming

pthreads invoking atexit()

I am trying to integrate a PRO*C mutlithreaded application. The application is invoking the atexit() function immediatly after executing the second sql function. I have set the thread attribute stack size to a larger amount. Does anyone have any other ideas on what would cause this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andrewl68
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question