How to wait on multiple semaphores/mutexes

Top Forums Programming How to wait on multiple semaphores/mutexes
# 1  
Old 08-05-2006
How to wait on multiple semaphores/mutexes

I thought one used the select function to wait on multiple semaphores but according to http://opengroup.org/onlinepubs/0079...sh/select.html, the select function is only good for I/O features (like pipes and fifos).

How can I block for multiple semaphores? What if I have a mixture of things to wait on like semaphores from sem.h, semaphores from semaphore.h and mutexes? Am I out of luck?

Thanks,
Siegfried
# 2  
Old 08-06-2006
Use pthread_mutex_timedlock(), sem_trywait() (in conjunction with sleep()) functions in a cycle and continue executing when all mutexes/semaphores are blocked by your thread.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling a shell script in background and wait using "wait" in while loop

Hi, I am facing a strange issue, when i call a script from my while loop in background it doesnt go in background, despite the wait i put below the whil loop it goes forward even before the process put in background is completed. cat abc.txt | while read -u4 line do #if line contains #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mihirvora16
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to wait for existence of multiple files

Hi Forum. I need a script to wait for all multiple trigger files to be present or else go to sleep for 10 seconds (Number of trigger files can vary). I tried to search on the forum but was not able to find a solution. I found this code on this forum but it's not working as expected: for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
6 Replies

3. Programming

locking mutexes, threads & semahores

What is the difference between mutex_lock and pthread_mutex_lock ? Should I use both when using binary semaphores. Also, what is the difference between using a binary semaphore and a counting semaphore where you wait on the condition variable ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joey
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pthread condition variables and mutexes?

I am trying to understand the exact difference between condition variables and mutexes in thread synchronization ?. I know mutex will control the thread access to shared data and condition variables will be useful for waiting for certain event or condition to occur . But I couldn't understand why... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddaonline
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

6. Programming

semaphores using up and down

been searching around on how to use an up and down function with semaphores but i can't find an example. i looked into using: "semop" but i have no idea how to use it. I have been able to declared the semaphores using semget and initializing them using semctl. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddx08
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

semaphores

Hi Friends, If i execute this command it comes back with 300 lines: ipcs|grep cerebrus >>> i would like to clear the semaphores but ipcrm can remove one id at a time. is there a quicker way of removing semaphores maybe using awk? Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kekanap
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute 2 scripts, wait, execute 2 more wait, till end of file

:cool: I need to execute a shell script to do the following: cat a file run two back ground processes using the first two values from the file wait till those background processes finish run two more background processes using the next two values from the file wait till those background... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: halo98
1 Replies

9. Programming

Howto spawn multiple child processes and wait?

As far as I can tell, the bash wait command waits for a logical "AND" of all the child processes. Assuming I am coding in C: (1) What is the function I would use to create multiple bash child process running perl? (2) What is the function I would use to reinvent the bash wait command so I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
4 Replies

10. Programming

C++ variable scope and mutexes

I've been wondering if I can make mutexes much easier to use in C++ with creative use of a locking class and variable scope, but I'm not sure if things happen in the order I want. Here's pseudocode for something that could use the class: int someclass::getvalue() { int retval; ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question