thanks in advance.
an ugly way of doing it,
Code:
echo "1234" | sed 's/\(..\)\(..\)/\1 \2/'

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using strings in one file as regex to search field of another file

I have a data file, file1.txt, such as the following: 1,2 "TWRTW", "TWRH/" 1,2 "JHGH", "HGJ 1,2 "JWMM", "JWMM" 1,2 "W", "W" 1,2 "LJLH", "LJLH/" 1,3 "W", "W" 1,3 "HJH", "HJJ I have another file, file2.txt, that contains... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove field and match strings to add text

In file1 field $18 is removed.... column header is "Otherinfo", then each line in file1 is used to search file2 for a match. When a match is found the last four strings in file2 are copied to file1. Maybe: cut -f1-17 file1 and then match each line to file2 file1 Chr Start End ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Divide by zero script

Hi, I've been working on a few scripts and have been getting great info. How, would I include in the below script, how I would let a user know that if they divide a SECOND number by zero, that they would get a divide by zero error? What's the easiest way of working this? Cordially, joe. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jefferj54
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strings as Field separator

Hi, How i can use two strings as field separator.. I want to use filed separator's as < and > input - shdhd ads<adsd adfs >sdfsd sfsdfsd< Please help me in this..:wall: thanks a lot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pamu
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match two files and divide a field !

Hello, I have two files that have the date field as a common. I request your help with some script that divide the value of the file1 by the value in the file2 only when the field date are the same between both files and create a new text file. This is a sample of the files file1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csierra
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

divide issue

Hi, I have a issue dividing 2 values in UNIX a=15 b=100 c = a / b ==> and it is returning 0 instead of 0.15 into variable C. How can i resolve this issue ? please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kotasateesh
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

divide with awk

Dear, i want to devide the first 4 values from a raw over the next 4 values like the following: $1+$2+$3+$4 / $5+$6+$7+$8 using AWK ....can someone help me? Sanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tontal
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script needs to divide by 2

i need to divide this count by 2, what variable can i use in my script? 26 hcscprod_cpus_totals /2 = 13 13 hcncprod_cpus_totals /2= 6.5 541 ktazp_cpus_totals /2= 270.5 346 ktazd_cpus_totals /2=173 110 ktazi_cpus_totals /2=55 10 ktazq_cpus_totals /2=5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wereyou
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Carriage returns between strings in a field

Is there any way to remove carriage retuns between the records? We have input records separated by TABS and have carriage returns as below: 123 456 789 ABC "1952.00" 678 "abcdef ghik lmno" Above we... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheepi
10 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question