Cross Posting

Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators Cross Posting
# 1  
Old 06-12-2003
Cross Posting

In regards to this post:

https://www.unix.com/unix-desktop-questions-and-answers/10372-bru-utility.html?s=

it may be advisable to inform new members about the repercussions of cross-posting.
# 2  
Old 06-12-2003
Not that there are really any repercussions, but I guess it'd be good to list it so it's official. Smilie

Personally, I know when I started using the forums here, I was confused by the format. I didn't know if you had to subscribe to a forum to read it and therefore only certain people could read certain forums. I didn't realize everyone could read every forum. And it's never the longtime users who are posting several times just to be a nuisance.. it's new users who are confused like I was.

One other thing, though - is moderating to be pretty much left to the moderators? Should anyone (maybe 20 people, maybe 100) who see a duplicate post become moderators themselves and tell the user not to post duplicate threads, or should that be left strictly to the moderators who can then close the thread, move it, etc...
# 3  
Old 06-12-2003
According to our rules...
Quote:
(4) Do not 'bump up' questions if they are not answered promptly.
"bump up" would certainly include a repost of the entire question. I suppose it might make sense to more explicitly say that. But I tend to doubt that crossposters would read the rules anyway.
# 4  
Old 06-12-2003
i believe i may have asked this question before, what oombera brings up about 'regular' members moderating. i actually forgot exactly what neo said, but one way or the other, staying quiet or saying something cant really hurt, either way. however it could be argued that regular members moderating just fills up the thread with useless posts. i could see a situation where a member informs another member of the rules in a case where the thread should be closed, and the mod can just close it and not have to say anything. i usually just play it safe, i find no reason informing others of what they did wrong, because that is what the mod is here for. once or twice i think i have pointed out certain rules though.
# 5  
Old 06-12-2003
That pretty much answers my question, norsk. I was telling people a few times to not post duplicate threads and whatnot, and then I realized hey I'm not really a mod so I dunno, it just felt out of place.. plus Perderabo and RTM are on here enough to catch almost anything going on. I guess it'd be different if the mods weren't moderating! Smilie
# 6  
Old 06-13-2003
Isn't it one's duty to give hints to one's companions when they are in err to avoid the wrath of mods?

Last edited by Karma; 06-18-2003 at 02:40 PM..
# 7  
Old 06-17-2003
OK,

I added these words to (4) of the rules:

Quote:
No duplicate or cross-posting.
Thanks for pointing this out. Neo
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cross Tab

I need help to do cross tab file input 20160101|ASIA|CHINA|2000 20160101|ASIA|INDIA|3000 20160102|ASIA|CHINA|4000 20160103|ASIA|CHINA|2000 20160103|AFRIKA|ZAMBIA|2000 20160104|ASIA|CHINA|5000 expected output CONTINENT|NATION|20160101|20160102|20160103|20160104... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: radius
1 Replies

2. Programming

what is a cross compiler

recently i was been to an interview to an automotive company, they have posed me a question that what section of compiler must be changed if the target is changed. ie,if ur compiler is meant for generating executable to a 8051 target what changes do you do to make it flexible to generate the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyam.sunder91
2 Replies

3. Linux

Cross compile

Hi, I'm cross compiling libelektra to arm from linux system its giving library errors can any one help me? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gautham.P
0 Replies

4. Programming

Cross target debugging

I am trying to setup gdbserver debugging on my i386 target platform and running gdb from x86_64 host. I always get could not load vsyscal try using file etc.. error. Is there a clean way to setup a cross target gdb. PS: I also tried set archi i386 on host side. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

nfs cross mount

how can I do nfs cross mount between two servers' nfs filesystems? should I put a wrapper or do I have to use /etc/rmtab ? advise me which method I have to use ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

files cross over

I have many files (File 1, File 2, File 3, ...) in same directory. The format of all these files are same. What I would like to do is to combine all these files into a single file via cross over. Example) >>File 1 look like this. f1 01 1.0 f1 02 2.0 f1 03 3.0 f1 04 4.0 f1 05 5.0 f1 06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jae
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question