Alternative open source to syncsort

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Alternative open source to syncsort
# 1  
Old 02-01-2012
Alternative open source to syncsort

Hi,

I am looking for an opensource alternate to replace syncsort. Can you please suggest ?
# 2  
Old 02-01-2012
Believe it or not, we replaced syncsort with plain the UNIX sort command, and got comparable results. syncsort was still about 10% faster, which did not justify the cost differential, USD $60K vs zero.
# 3  
Old 02-02-2012
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your response. Apart from sorting we require to perform operations like "merge - combining as many as sequencial sets into one data set under same sequence" and "copy - to reproduce a file, bypassing the sorting process entirely"

So can we achieve these also ?

Thanks,
Ambika
# 4  
Old 02-02-2012
You can usually achieve the "copy" procedure with "cp". Or if you're sticking a bunch together, "cat".

UNIX sort also has a 'merge' option, check the manual page to see if it can be used exactly in the manner you require.
# 5  
Old 02-02-2012
The cp and cat functions Corona mentions are more efficient than the syncsort version.
Merge is simple as well: merge filea and fileb giving filec with the merge key being two fields pos 8-30 and pos 43-49:
Code:
sort -k 8,40 -k 43,49   filea fileb > filec

# 6  
Old 02-03-2012
Ok. Thank you. I will try out these.
# 7  
Old 02-09-2012
take it easy

hello AmbikaValagonda,

I'm from Syncsort, and saw your thread and the answer you got.
I'm not going to emphasize how good our product is bla bla bla.
Nevertheless, let me just add a few words.

Syncsort SORT is faster than the other sorts when volumes are BIG, i.e. when the source data don't fit into memory. Then, we fear no comparisons.
(and i don't speak about 10%, but 30% to 60%)

Be also aware that each version of Syncsort is faster than the previous ones. If you're using Syncsort 3.X, you may want to give a try to v7.1 before going further.

Syncsort has implemented new features like workspace compression which could accelerate your processes and save additional disk space.

And last, we now have a graphical interface which could reduce your dev and maintenance time, helping you to make more savings than by implementing and maintaining unix shell scripts.

Syncsort solves problems, especially performance problems when data volumes are BIG.

Of course, young geeks prefer scripting. Being able to handle pattern language makes them feel smart.

Best regards,
Steven
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open Source

Hi Friends I'm new to this UNIX - I'm working on the porting project from Solaris To Linux i just want to map some commands from solaris to Linux so can any one please tell me how to get the source code of the commands like "ls", "cu", "du" Regards sabee (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabee.prakash
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the ksh alternative of source

# type source source is a shell builtin What is the kshell alternative of source? I want to run a ksh script in the parent shell rather than creating a child shell. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

is open source more secure ?

Hi Guys, I'd like to know your opinion. A friend of mine claims, an open source OS like linux is more secure than a closed one like AIX because 'if he is hacked, he can do countermeasures'. I believe the opposite is the case - it's more secure if not everybody knows the kernel and is able to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

alternative open source to syncsort/dfsort ?

we use syncsort only as a sorting tool . Does anyone know about a free option for sort large binary files ? Thanks Golan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghadad
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

open source antivirus

Hello What is the best open source anti virus? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammadmahdi
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question