d1 = ` expr $ num%10`
num = `expr $ num/10`
d2 = ` expr $ num%10`
num = `expr $ num/10`
sum = $ d1 + $ d2
echo the sum is $ sum

I am getting expr syntax error

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums.

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-11-2011 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags, thank you
# 2  
Old 10-10-2011
Try
Code:
d1=`expr $num % 10`

(i.e. no spaces before or after the assignment, no spaces between a $ and a variable name, but with spaces between expr arguments)
This User Gave Thanks to CarloM For This Post:
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Syntex for elif conditions

Hi, Please help here for below are the correct syntax or not for elif for korn shell. if && && && ; then echo "ALL Servers are Running" elif ; then echo "gg Not Running" fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: singam07
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error with expr - "expr: syntax error"

Hi All, I'm writing a shell script in KSH, where I want to store the filename, total record count and actual record count of all the source files. The source files reside in 4 different sub-folders under the same root folder. Below is code: #!/usr/bin/ksh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagari
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr: syntax error

Hi All, This is a piece of code from one of my scripts: t1=`cat temp3.21447 | grep WEALTHTOUC_TRANS_20100409_233127.txt.txt.TRG | awk '{print $3}' | cut -c1-5` t2=`cat temp3.21447 | grep WEALTHTOUC_TRANS_20100409_233127.txt.txt.TRG | awk '{print $5}' | cut -c1-5` #t1=23:43... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prachiagra
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

expr - Syntax error

hello to everyone, i am writing a shell script in unix and i use the following command: lnum= cut -f 1 -d : aa passline=`expr $lnum + 1` echo "$passline" with the following command i get the value that is stored in the first field of the file "aa" and i save it in the variable "lnum". i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error extracting 1 or more numbers with expr command

Need help with the following, I want to extract the digits from the following file pattern using the expr command. digits are in the range 1-99 Tried two different methods, not sure what I am doing wrong. file1=file1.dbf file10=file10.dbf Works for expr "$file10" : '.*\(\)' 10 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fire!
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr error in ksh

Hi ALL, i am so much confused y the following script is not working in the korn shel which works in bash shell. please solve the error that i am facing. i want to extract the format of the size from a variable i.e. GB or KB or MB or B or BYTES code: -------- size_dir_pass=1.2gb... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntex error script any suggestions

a script with prompts user and returns the value of there home directory and full name #!/bin/bash echo "please enter your login ID" read login_id while $login_id -ne `grep $login_id /etc/passwd | cut -f1 -d:` is they anything wrong with it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kim187
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting error with expr

sum=0; cat op_api2 |while read word1 word2; do echo $word2 sum=`expr $word2 + $sum`; done echo $sum op_api2 ( file has this data ) ---------------------------- UsageSummary 1034 UsageSummary 1675 UnbilledUsage 175 UnbilledUsage 177 UnbilledUsage 177 UnbilledUsage 194 I want the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bishweshwar
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

expr: syntax error. why?

i want to get a substring from a string and used such shell script: var_year=`expr substr "07132006" 5 4` echo $var_year but i got such error message: expr: syntax error. why? Note: Kshell used on solaris 8. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntex error

hi I am try to run following script using c-shell but i get the following syntex error:- ----script--- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/csh echo "system monitor" echo " 1) system paging 2) system file inf. 3) system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neer45
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question