Channeling output to 2 places

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Channeling output to 2 places
# 1  
Old 04-01-2013
Channeling output to 2 places

Below is my requirement.

When I type 'ls' from the command prompt,
1. I need the output/listing to be shown on screen(which happens by default)
2. Also a file named a.txt should be populated with the output of 'ls' comma nd.

How should I do this?

-Yuvaraj.
# 2  
Old 04-01-2013
Have you ever happened to see a command named tee

this will help you
# 3  
Old 04-02-2013
Cool. Got it. Thanks Pikk45.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum the fields with 6 decimal places - getting only 2 decimal places as output

I used the below script to Sum up a field in a file based on some unique values. But the problem is when it is summing up the units, it is truncating to 2 decimals and not 6 decimals as in the input file (Input file has the units with up to 6 Decimals – Sample data below, when the units in the 2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brlsubbu
4 Replies

2. Programming

Badly places ()'s on C

I dont know why this Linux would give me badly placed () error all the time for this; #include <stdio.h> int main() { register int num=0 ; while ((num < 5)) ++num; printf("Pass %d \n", num) ; return 0 ; } can anyone help me please? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sizzler786
11 Replies

3. Solaris

Sync script between two places

Hello Team, We would like to copy or sync a couple a zpool and all dataset inside between two datacenters one time per day, the structure and space are the same in both sides. We are consider to use rsync and a cron job. We would like to know what type of ports we have to open in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csierra
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic but keep 2 decimal places

I am trying to perform arithmetric, for example, to increment the value of variable $a (say 3) by 0.05 but when I tried the following expression let a=a+0.05 or a=$((a+0.05)) both returned 3.0499999999999998 I want to keep 2 decimal places so it returns 3.05 instead. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal places

i need to multiplay a number with 1.00.. so that the output should contain two decimal places at end.. for example... 236 * 1.00 = 236.00 245.8 * 1.00 = 245.80 but when i perform multiplication it shows output as. 236 245.8 can anyone help me to get the actual output of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunmanas
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rotate an array by 2 places

I have an array a={0,1,2,3,4} The out put should be: 3,4,0,1,2 Please can any body write code for this program? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ansar basha.k
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trimm up the decimal places in output

I have a perl script that reports the avg time of a application call and the total number of calls. This works fine, however I would like to trim the number of decimal places reported from 12 to like 3 and I don't know how. Any suggestions? Here is what I use to get the avg time... for $eRef (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theninja
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deciaml places

Hello All, Can anyone please tell me how do i define the variable as decimal. Below is my script. After division i get a whole number where as i want to see the decimal places also.. TABLEAVG=`expr ${TABLECHARS}/${TABLELINES} | bc` EG: if TABLECHARS= 1280 and TABLELINES=44 the O/P is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: OSD
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

1 symbolic link to 2 different places?

I was wondering is it possible todo something like following: A) Settings:- - 2 servers on the network - both can be reached via /net/SERVER1/datadir and /net/SERVER2/datadir - i'm running rsync to syncronize the data coming to server1 from whatever application B) Wanted: on other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX lp spooling places

Does anybody know if HP-UX uses any other directories besides /var/spool/lp/request to spool print jobs? I checked the man pages, and it only mentions /var/spool/lp in general. I was just wondering if anyone knew of some other place it might possibly use. thanks in advance for any help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doeboy
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question