How to Addition and subtraction..using files

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Addition and subtraction..using files
# 1  
Old 09-12-2011
How to Addition and subtraction..using files

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

I want to do simple calculations..using files

for example:

i have 2 files called anish.txt and kumar.txt

anish.txt contains value 10 and kumar.txt contains value 5

anish.txt - kumar.txt = 5

i want to display like this

how to do this process , and dont think as home work and all this small process helpful to me to move next step in my script.

Thanks and Regards
Anish kumar.V
# 2  
Old 09-12-2011
one entry per file?

--ahamed
This User Gave Thanks to ahamed101 For This Post:
# 3  
Old 09-12-2011
In shell:
Code:
read VAR1 < file1.txt
read VAR2 < file2.txt
expr "${VAR1}" "+" "${VAR2}"

There's better ways than 'expr' in some shells, but I don't know what your system and shell is.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:
# 4  
Old 09-12-2011
Code:
 echo 10 >file1
 echo 5 >file2
 echo $(( $(<file1) - $(<file2) ))

$(( )) allows integer math: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, % (modulo)
# 5  
Old 09-12-2011
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a=$0;next} {b=$0; print a-b}' anish.txt kumar.txt

--ahamed
This User Gave Thanks to ahamed101 For This Post:
# 6  
Old 09-12-2011
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your immediate response.

and ahamed

AWK is better for me and previously i made some steps using AWK and i need your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamed101
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a=$0;next} {b=$0; print a-b}' anish.txt kumar.txt

--ahamed

i got an idea to finish this script but for that i need your help is it possoble to do like this

Example:

/var/tmp/v1 file contians anish.txt this name

/var/tmp/v2 file contians kumar.txt this name

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a=$0;next} {b=$0; print a-b}' /var/tmpanish.txt /var/tmp/kumar.txt

i know this command wont work and is that any alternate way ? to get this 2 values from the file
# 7  
Old 09-12-2011
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a=$0;next} {b=$0; print a-b}' $(</var/tmpanish.txt) $(</var/tmp/kumar.txt)

thanks to Jim's post Smilie

--ahamed
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date Subtraction

Hello All, I am a newbie to unix shell scripting and need to write a script that displays the difference between two variables that stores date value. For example, F1=`ls -ltr file1* | tail -1 |tr -s ' ' |cut -d' ' -f6,7,8` F2=`ls -ltr file2* | tail -1 |tr -s ' ' |cut -d' ' -f6,7,8` F1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyaa2010
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help on date subtraction

I have dates as follows in a file 20121029135649 20121029135721 20121030091540 20121030093420 20121030094340 20121030095427 20121030095856 20121030100104 20121030100251 All these dates are in sorted order. I need to find out the difference between the dates as follows 2nd row... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: meetsriharsha
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtraction using arrays

Hello all . I have two arrays. ${ARRAY_MOUNT_POINT_CAPACITY} ${ARRAY_MOUNT_POINT_CAPACITY}. Whats the synatx of subtracting their values , placing them in variable V1 and then echoeing it ??? Ive tried expr and let ...gives me ./test_code.sh: difference: bad number (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting of files - Addition of Page Number in the Trailer

Hi, I need your help on the following Scenario : Consider a file has 650 records and I need to split this file into 4 files having a maximum of 200 records in each of them and also for the first splitted file it should get appended with Page 1 as a trailer( Similarly for the second file, Page... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravichander
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtraction

Hi #!/bin/sh month=`date +%m` year=`date +%Y` echo $month a=02 # Retaining Data for Current and Previous Month lmonth=`expr $month - $a` if test "$lmonth" = "0" then lmonth=12 year=`expr $year - 1` fi echo $year echo $lmonth The output is (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhayman
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of uninitialized value in subtraction

Hallo all i am trying to execute this script ............... But this is throwing the error...... use of uninitialized value in subtraction in at icd_convert.pl line 156 use of uninitialized value in subtraction in at icd_convert.pl line 157 use of uninitialized value in subtraction in at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suvenduperl
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date subtraction

hi, i set up a script on my server to do a particular task once files from an external system are ftpd in the format compaq_20100110 (YYDDMM). Interestingly, the source of ftp is sending the files in the format e.g 20100109 i.e. previous date and for some reason this fails.kindly see my script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigtejus
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtraction in bash arrays

hi i am using bash shell to perform some subraction. here is what i have: i have a while loop and am using i as a counter. diff= `expr ${ARRAY1} - ${ARRAY2}` for example array1 has -0.7145 and array2 has -0.7041. when i try the above command, i get expr: non-numeric argument. any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk subtraction

hi i have file 1 as follows: 6 7 8 9 10 i have file 2 as follows: 5 5 5 5 5 i want file 3 as follows: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

subtraction from date

hi gurus! i realize that my question shows my stupidness, but i need your help! i have: s_date=`date +%m-%d-%Y_%I%p` variable and i need the same, but minus one hour.. what i made: s_date=time(`date +%m-%d-%Y_%I%p`) - 3600 but i'm getting: daily_exports.sh: line 20: syntax error near... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarGur
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question