How to read the .profile file

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read the .profile file
# 1  
Old 03-09-2009
How to read the .profile file

Hi ,

I need to read the .profile file path from perl script.
Could you please help me in this Smilie

Regards,
Kalai
# 2  
Old 03-09-2009
Code:
my $ppath = "$ENV{'HOME'}/.profile";

I suspect you need to do more than this... Smilie
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Bypass Read Line in profile through AIX command

Hi All, I have a complicated requirement where in I have a "root" user and a user named "xeadmin" I want to take sudo of "xeadmin" by command sudo su - xeadmin. Later i need to hit 2 enter keys as there are 2 read line commands inserted in profile of "xeadmin" and I reach command prompt, i need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiteshsathawane
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

/etc/profile file not executed

Hi Experts, On one of hp-ux box I have writen the code to disable the direct login for some of the users in /etc/profile file. However when logging into terminal seems /etc/profile is not executed and users are still able to directly login into the terminal. Default shell for user is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No .profile file

Hi All, I just have a small question. I was wondering what would happen if there was no .profile file. I understand that the aliases and my path related commands wouldnt work, however i wanted to know if i would still be able to use the ls,cp,mv.... commands without a .profile file. If... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
3 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

trap in etc/profile and user .profile

Hello I really wonder what's trap in etc/profile and in each user .profile. I try to google for it but I think I have no luck. Mostly hit is SNMP traps which I think it is not the same thing. I want to know ... 1. What's a "trap 2 3" means and are there any other value I can set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
4 Replies

6. Programming

Cannot read a file with read(fd, buffer, buffersize) function

# include <stdio.h> # include <fcntl.h> # include <stdlib.h> # include <sys/stat.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int fRead, fPadded, padVal; int btRead; int BUFFSIZE = 512; char buff; if (argc != 4) { printf ("Please provide all of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naranja18she
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Profile File in Unix

Hi, I have to run a sqr program. In the profile file everything is set. e.g APPLID=personel APPPATH=/${ENVIRONMENT}/${APPPATH} and so on.. SQRDIR=/opt/sqr/bin/syb Still when I'm running this script,its giving error APPLID not set and SQRDIR not set. Any idea,why? TIA (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: autosys_nm
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I modify the .bashrc file instead of .profile file to customize my login?

Hello, I got this question which tells me to customize my login script. Some people in the forums suggested to modify the .profile file in my home directory. I did so, but none of my customizations show up when I open the terminal after. So, I tried to modify other files in my home directory,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hyunkel
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I read about the difference between "..profile" and ".profile"

Hi I know from reading O Riley's Classic Shell Scripting' that the .profile file is " the shells configuration file" but I am unable to find a reference to what "..profile" means. I have searched on the net, Sams Teach Yourself Unix, Unix Visual Quickstart Guide and Linux in a Nutshell. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrokan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changed .profile but didnt ./.profile, yet reflected changes

hi , i added ls -F to .profile. and i need to do ./.profile for the effect to take effect BUT i didnt and YET the next day when i came to work and log in, the changes took effect. i am on aix. please explain.. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question