Which OS?

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Which OS?
# 1  
Old 02-20-2005
Which OS?

New here. I want to install a server on my pc for personal use. If I chose to run it under Linux, would the pc have to be running the Linux OS for the server to be accesable? Or, in other words, will the server run when I choose to run Windows?

Would it be better to run it under Windows?

Kim
# 2  
Old 02-20-2005
Smilie

If you install Linux on the server, then the server will be running Linux. If you install Windows, then the server will be running Windows Smilie

Which type of "server" are you aiming to run? i.e. FTP, HTTP (Web), IRC, LDAP, etc.... which services do you wish to make available??

Windows and Linux can both be used as "Server" operating systems - it really depends on exactly what you're trying to achieve - Linux is renowned for being a very stable and (mostly) secure OS.

Cheers
ZB
# 3  
Old 02-20-2005
My aim is to have a server to host some videos related to a web forum I have. I assume in time I may have several gig in videos. Plus I want to move several web sites to it.

If I install Linux, I assume my pc will have to be running the Linux OS for the server to be in operation?

Otherwise I will stick to Windows unless I can get another pc for Linux only.

Kim
# 4  
Old 02-21-2005
Well, if you want to host from a Linux server, then yes, Linux must be the operating system running on the machine. You could set up a dual-boot system and boot into Linux when you want to "serve", re-booting into Windows as required. If you're looking for an "always-on" server then a supplementary Linux-only box would be the way to go (although you could just use IIS on Windows to host an FTP site for your videos, but that's up to you).

Check out this thread for alternatives which might suit your situation.

Cheers
ZB
# 5  
Old 02-21-2005
I want an always on setup, which would require me to get a another pc. What would be the min. requirement pc needed to run Linux with Apache software? For now, I think I will try to install Linux as a dual boot just to get a look at it, get it running and then get the new/used pc.

In the meantime I think I will set up on my Windows OS. I just found IIS for XP Pro. I will attempt that route.

Thx a ton
Kim

Last edited by MrKim; 02-21-2005 at 08:51 AM..
# 6  
Old 02-21-2005
You could also try this:
http://apache2triad.sourceforge.net/

OR this:

http://www.firepages.com.au/

They are bundles for running apache, MySql and PHP on your Windows PC.
# 7  
Old 02-21-2005
Will do. That was going to be my next question after the IIS is set up.

Thx
Kim

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread
Login or Register to Ask a Question