scripting DISPLAY

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers scripting DISPLAY
# 1  
Old 03-22-2005
Question scripting DISPLAY

I'm a little stump how to get the server's variable DISPLAY to be dynamically set to whichever client I'm connecting with. I'm using BASH but more familiar with ksh/sh.
# 2  
Old 03-22-2005
Pretty much anything you would do in ksh will work directly in bash.

this should do what you want by adding it into ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc:

Code:
export DISPLAY="$(who am i | sed -n 's/.*[(]\(.*\)[)]/\1/p'):0.0"

# 3  
Old 03-22-2005
If you use ssh with X11 forwarding enabled, your DISPLAY can be set automatically by the ssh server.
# 4  
Old 03-23-2005
on my solaris boxes i use:

if [ "`tty`" = "/dev/console" ]
then
TERM=vt100
export TERM
echo "TERM=$TERM"
else
LOGINFROM=`who am i | cut -f2 -d"(" | cut -f1 -d")"`
DISPLAY=${LOGINFROM}:0.0
export LOGINFROM DISPLAY
echo "DISPLAY=$DISPLAY"
fi

gP

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to display only the first 5 running process using top in shell scripting?

topfunc() { top } topfunc Here i used the top command inside a function,and i called the function. when executing this bash file i get all the process which are using by the kernel i just want to display only the first 5 running process. is it possible? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell Scripting to display a output from a command

Please find my below requirement and see if you can help me on this. I am looking for a shell script which can provide me the below output. Manuall steps which i am doing now 1) First I source the File $ . ./WC_env.sh 2) Execute the command $ /app/oracle/product/mos/bin/mosotl -url... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudheshpn@gmail
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display the First and Last name from a file using shell scripting

I am new to shell scripting and doing a similar thing @ work Stan:Smith:Detroit:MI Jim:Jones:Farmington Hills:MI Jack:Frost:Denver:CO Sue:Apple:New York:NY Cindy:Thompson:Battle Creek:MI John:Smith:Denver:CO George:Jones:New York:NY Need to create a shell script This script will display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakemathew
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

guidance required: feed load search & display in shell scripting

Hi All, I am fairly new to Shell Scripting, however learning fast ;-) I have been asked to do the below basic shell script :confused: There are few feed files we are recieving in the server from multiple locations spread out during the day, rite now we are checking manually each file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachaan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate months and display in shell scripting

I just want to know, how do we calculate the months in shell scripting. If i give the input as 20-01-2011, the output should be 20-02-2011, 20-03-2011 or 20-04-2011........ How do i get this ? Cheers. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin24
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DISPLAY=local_host:0.0 ; export DISPLAY

Hi, from my Windows Workstation I can connect with PUTTY to an AIX 6.1 unix server. On AIX via PUTTY I run DBCA which has a grphical interface. Then : #DISPLAY=local_host:0.0 ; export DISPLAY $(hostname) $(whoami):/appli/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/bin#dbca _X11TransSocketINETConnect()... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Shell scripting from Perl Scripting.

Hi How to call a shell scripting through a Perl scripting? Actually I need some value from Shell scripting and passes in the Perl scripting. So how can i do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting Help - Display Processes

Hi, I was wondering if somebody could help me as I am struggling with writing a script for a training course. Ive had to write 5 scripts and this is the last one but am struggling with this even though I understand what it is meant to do..... PROBLEM: write a script which will allow you to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isxrc
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting guru's pls help me with scripting on AIX

can someone pls help me with the script for a files coming from one system to a particular directory and i want to write a script to move those files to another directory on different system by renaming the files... pls someone help me on this... thanking in anticipation.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thatiprashant
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question