File Delimiter

Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users File Delimiter
# 1  
Old 06-25-2012
File Delimiter

Hi All,

I woul like to know with out opening a file in unix ,how we can find out what is the delemeter in that file...

Thanks..

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment edit by bakunin: changed thread title to "delimiter" so it can be found.

Last edited by bakunin; 06-25-2012 at 07:07 AM..
# 2  
Old 06-25-2012
without opening ? (please explain)

Code:

head -1 filename

# 3  
Old 06-25-2012
Re:File Delemeter

Hi ,

With out opening file means,
we have a file and we want to know what is the delemeter in that file.
do we have any command to get only delemeter...

Thanks
# 4  
Old 06-25-2012
You need to check from file for the delimiter
# 5  
Old 06-25-2012
There is no command to find out the delimiter in a unix text file. It is not a directory parameter.
You will have to find out from the author of the program which wrote the file.
Visually inspecting the file may be enough, but you will need to open the file to do this.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Code to change file delimiter (passed as argument) to bar delimiter

Hi, Extremely new to Perl scripting, but need a quick fix without using TEXT::CSV I need to read in a file, pass any delimiter as an argument, and convert it to bar delimited on the output. In addition, enclose fields within double quotes in case of any embedded delimiters. Any help would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPB1977
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to put delimiter for a no delimiter variable length text file

Hi, I have a No Delimiter variable length text file with following schema - Column Name Data length Firstname 5 Lastname 5 age 3 phoneno1 10 phoneno2 10 phoneno3 10 sample data - ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurav Martha
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut by delimiter, and delimiter can be anything except numbers?

Hi all, I have a number of strings like below: //mnt/autocor/43°13'(33")W/ and i'm trying to get the numbers in this string, for example 431333 please help thanks ahead (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimiter in output file

Hello, I am trying to find the record count in a specific folder, Here is the part of the code =========================== STARTDATE=`date +"%y%m%d%H%M"` for i in `ls *.DAT` do wc -l $i >> /XYZ/SrcFiles/"Record_counts"$STARTDATE.csv ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shanks
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating delimiter file

#/bin/sh sysdate=`date +"%m/%d/%Y"` systime=`date +%r` ps_per=`lsps -s | nawk '{print $2+0}'|tail -1` ps_tot=`lsps -s | nawk '{print $1+0}'|tail -1` lcpu=`vmstat | nawk -F= '/lcpu/ {print $2+0}'` mem_tot=`vmstat | nawk -F= '/mem=/ {print $3+0}'` avm=`vmstat|awk '{print... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change delimiter in my file ?

Hi I have a file in which delimiter is ';' However if the delimiter is within "" it is a part of the string and not delimiter. How to get the fields ? I want to replace the delimiter ';' to '|'. The file contains data like this : 11111; “2222 2222”; “3333; 3333”; “4444 ""44444” The file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting delimiter from a file.

hi, pls someone tell me how to extract delimiters from any file and pass it to a unix script.since, im a beginner in unix i find it little bit difficult.how to use awk to do this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshmit
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to fix file with more delimiter

Hi, Unix experts, I have a problem about one file. my source file as following: 123, accounting, university street, 23456 124, financing, center street, b suit, 23457 125, information, college street, 23458 above file, 'center street, b suit' should be one field, my file contains more than 50... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring based on delimiter, finding last delimiter

Hi, I have a string like ABC.123.XYZ-A1-B2-P1-C4. I want to delimit the string based on "-" and then get result as only two strings. One with string till last hyphen and other with value after last hyphen... For this case, it would be something like first string as "ABC.123.XYZ-A1-B2-P1" and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gupt_ash
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting file with more than one delimiter

Hi, I just wandering how to split a record which has more than one delimiter, i have a file which contains pattern as group separtor and ~ as field separtor, Ultimately I need consider even the groups as a field, So i need to make this multi-delimited file into ~ delimited file. My record... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
4 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question