Network / Xterm keyboard

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Network / Xterm keyboard
# 1  
Old 07-27-2005
Network / Xterm keyboard

Hi. I'm pretty new to unix, but I was wondering if there was a way to either through xterm or other use a network keyboard?

what I would like to be able to do is open an xterm on another computer and then have my keyboard input from the server displayed in that xterm. Im sure this is posible. For instance I could right I driver for the second computer that tells it to get it's keyboard from the network jack, but this seems very cumbersom. Is there any easy way to do this?

Last edited by Winzernotman; 07-28-2005 at 04:29 PM..
# 2  
Old 07-28-2005
I'm afraid your question doesn't make alot of sense. 'xterm' is an X11 terminal application which can be run in a graphical environment once you are logged onto a machine.

Perhaps you could clarify?
# 3  
Old 07-28-2005
Sorry for the confusion. I sort of combined two tracks I was thinking along. What I want is a setup where I type on a keyboard on one computer and the output shows up on another. I know there are programs like xmx that have redundant displays, but that is not what I'm trying to do. There were two ways I thought there might be a solution:

1. The Hardware (sort of) Solution: I thought it might be posible to do something like define the default keyboard as the device file of another computer. I am new, so I don't know exactly how I'd do it, but i could mount a network path as the /dev file.
Along the same line I thought it might be posible to define the monitor as an aditional local display monitor somehow and use it that way(It is actually atached by a serial cable as well as cat 5).

2. The Software Solution: I thought there might be a way to make xterm, or the xserver more likely, do the work for me. I am, after all, sending an xterm window to this monitor. So I thought there might be some way to set up the term so that eventhough it was displayed in comp 2 it took it's keyboard input from comp 1.

I don't know enough yet about either track to actually be able to do it, so I was wondering if there was a way to do it along those lines, or another method that might work aside from writing a new driver all together.
# 4  
Old 07-29-2005
You could use something like "talk" (man talk).

bakunin
# 5  
Old 08-02-2005
My impresion is that talk is more of a messaging system rather than a means for using a remote display like a local one. I want something that will allow me to use the second display as a terminal. Also I don't really want local echo, or even a local window open if I can avoid it.

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem getting vertical bar with British keyboard layout on US (physical) keyboard

Hi, I've got a bit of a ridiculous problem and wasn't sure where to post it. I need to use the vertical bar for piping in Bash but, as per the title, am using a UK layout on a US (physical) keyboard which doesn't have a key for it in the place I'd expect. I've tried using xbindkeys and Unicode... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchgargoyle
7 Replies

3. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

xterm help?

I want to add a title to this xterm window but cannot figure out how. Can anybody assist with this? xterm +sb -geom 80x25 -ls -tn xterms -tm "intr ^q" -name unikix -e $UNIKIX/bin/unikixl (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: douknownam
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm?

Hello all, This is a lame question because I have been working with unix for some years now, but anyway here it is; What is an xterm? ivo (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ivo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I map Unix keyboard for PC keyboard

A Solaris AXI 440 machine with Solaris 8 version. I have PC users who use an emulation to login to the Solaris server. How can I change the keyboard mapping of the Sun keyboard to fit to the PC keyboard ? Any comment will be appreciated. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simhab
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question