finger a list from a file

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finger a list from a file
# 1  
Old 02-22-2005
finger a list from a file

I am trying to find a way of fingering the first field in a listfile created from the who command, and write the results to a new file

eg

"`who | cut -f1 -d' '` | more > tam"
gives me the list I need

but

tam -f1 finger > tam2
does not produce the right results

Thank you in advance for any help even a pointer in the right direction
# 2  
Old 02-22-2005
Quote:
tam -f1 finger > tam2

What are you trying to do with the above command ?
tam is not command. It is just a file.
# 3  
Old 02-22-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav
What are you trying to do with the above command ?
tam is not command. It is just a file.
sorry bhargav I am trying to interrogate the file sequentially and finger each of the individual users

<tam> file

hb1
hb2
hb3
dr33
tr55
etc

I want to create a new file that would show the following

Login name: hb1 In real life: Client Name
Directory: /export/home/localuser Shell: /bin/ksh
Last login Tue Feb 22 16:20 on pts/11 from 160.20.56.16
No unread mail
No Plan.

Login name: hb2 In real life: Another Name
Directory: /export/home/opluuser Shell: /bin/ksh
Last login Tue Feb 22 16:20 on pts/28 from 145.110.53.01
No unread mail
No Plan.

etc
# 4  
Old 02-22-2005
Do as follows ...

Code:
>userActivity.log
who | cut -d" " -f 1 | sort -u > users

while read user
do
  finger $user  >> userActivity.log
done < users

# 5  
Old 02-22-2005
Champion Mate works a treat can use this as part of a larger script I'm working on
# 6  
Old 02-28-2005
Use :
who | cut -d' ' -f1 | head -1 | xargs finger
Easiest way to do what u want.
# 7  
Old 03-01-2005
Code:
Use :
who | cut -d' ' -f1 | head -1 | xargs finger
Easiest way to do what u want.

I guess OP (Original Poster ?) needs to get the activity of all the users not just one user.

And if you do n't use sort , you will end up using 'finger' multiple times for a user.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finger command help

Hi Does anyone know if there is anyway of doing the finger command for all user id's in my enviroment. What I need to obtain is the full names of all users on the system. I know if i do the finger command with no arguments it will list users currently logged in, but i need all users... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m3y
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finger has gone crazy

Two things : On the first place i am really desperate, on the second i am about to throw my laptop away to the recycle bin in a while. Ok now that i expressed my feeling let me describe you this mad situation. Code: print $1; ("finger -m " $1 "| head -1") | getline userinfo print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beatblaster666
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger

Is there any possible way to get rid of the header when I do finger ? I want to get rid of Login Name Tty Idle Login Time Office Office Phone as the header. Please let me know how to do it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger question

How can I change the name in the 'finger' information? anybody has an idea? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksainth
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in finger command.

Hi, iam using sunsolaris. when you type finger command -- it dispalys information about local and remote users. but here it shows as can't stat /dev/gold:8664 can anybody help what is the solution for this error. previously the output came. thanks, shan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanshine
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finger command

Hello all, Here is what I am trying to do. If a user exist, then send an echo "EXIST" or else "DOES NOT EXIST". (under HP-UX) Kind of: #!/usr/bin/sh USER=mylogin finger $USER if $? = 0 then echo "EXIST"" else echo "DOES NOT EXIST" fi (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to input username on text file into finger command on shell script

I'm trying to clean up my server and I have the list of some "special" users stored on the text file like this Now I want to write a shell script to finger all of them so I can have some kind of ideas who they are but here comes the problem....I completely forgot how to do it with shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micz
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finger Information

Hey, I was wondering If anybody knew of a way to make a log of all users who type the command finger username when username is my own. I would like to see who is keeping track of me :) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanley_ie
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger

is there a way to show information on all the users on your system? when i use 'finger' is only shows users names and info who are currently on the system. is there a way to show all accounts? thanx! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: djatwork
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finger and newsgroups

Hi, I've been using unix at college for a few weeks now and I have come up against a few stumbling blocks: - Most unix commands seem to work w/ regexps - the computers I and my group are allowed to logon to are all itsunXX where XX is a number. if I can {finger @itsun88} to find out that I and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: the_man_who
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question