boot process stuck on "Welcome to AIX" banner

Operating Systems AIX boot process stuck on "Welcome to AIX" banner
# 1  
Old 04-01-2009
boot process stuck on "Welcome to AIX" banner

Good afternoon,

I'm currently working on an IBM 9110-510, with an AIX 6.1 on it.

Currently, I've put an HyperTerminal on the machine vty0. Folowing the procedure given by a support guy(§details), I'm able to get to the AIX banner

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Welcome to AIX.
                       boot image timestamp: 11:15 03/02
                 The current time and date: 12:05:47 04/01/2009
        processor count: 1;  memory size: 880MB;  kernel size: 26367045
    boot device: /pci@800000020000002/pci@2,4/pci1069,b166@1/scsi@0/sd@5:2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But nothing happens after this step. On the LED attached to the power on button I can read 0c46, which corresponds to a "Normal installation processing".

I have not changed the network cable through which the machine is connected to the network since at least one month, and this is the first time I get on this problem.

I have attached the complete boot log (ie. the messages I'm getting on the serial port).

I do not know how the AIX system boot process is supposed to work, but I'm willing to learn more about it.

§details:
-put a null modem cable on the 1st serial port of the machine
-reboot the machine
-press'd enter
-logged in
-select the boot type and the boot device
-wait
>>> only the "Welcome to AIX" banner is printed. No kernel boot logs. The LED is stuck on the 0c46 message.

Update: the complete serial port log is available on http://nilleb.com/pub/boot-log.zip
# 2  
Old 04-01-2009
insert the aix installation cd (or use a nim server), start maintenance mode, choose access rootvg before filesystems are mounted

run fsck on all filesystems in rootvg, if not done automatically

type exit, then all filesystems will mount

run bootlist -m normal -o to see the boot device priority

change to your hdisk if not set

# bootlist -m normal hdisk0 hdisk1
for example

run bosboot -a ( or -a -d and specify your hdisk(s) with hd5 boot logical volume) on it

check /etc/filesystems, and reboot

thats a standard procedure I would do before doing excessive troubleshooting
# 3  
Old 04-01-2009
no cd, no NIM server

thanks funksen,

I cannot apply the solution you proposed. This is a rented machine, the rental service didn't give us neither the OS CDs, nor a NIM server address... Smilie

somebody does know why such an issue can happen? I have been able to boot once this morning under these conditions, and the network stack wasn't working anymore.

yesterday we have tried to use a vty to send data to a rs232 modem, and we failed to do this. luckily, we haven't disabled the login on the vty0..
# 4  
Old 04-01-2009
# 5  
Old 04-02-2009
update: no way

the kind of the used cable already corresponds. anyway, we have built one new cable with the schema you've given, and the result is always the same.

nothing after the OS "Welcome to AIX" banner.
# 6  
Old 04-02-2009
Hmm, try booting to SMS, option4 I think is to select the console, select the console, exit and continue the boot, what do you get then?

What is the history of the machine? is it now, or was it ever connected to an HMC?

Does the op panel show HMC=0 or HMC=1?
# 7  
Old 04-03-2009
disk failure at the base of the misbehavior

Seemingly, the filesystem is the responsible of the kernel load failure. A number of binaries in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin have currently a size of 0. I suppose that this same reason is preventing us from completing the boot of the system 7 of 8 times. Among the 0 bytes files, ifconfig is included.

in this case, the only way to proceed (AFAIK) is to reinstall the system from scratch or substitute the missing files with a backup copy of the same files.

we haven't a clue about the reason of the filesystem failure, even if we suppose that the responsible is a power shortage.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to enable "TCP MD5 Signatures" and "https" on AIX?

I have searched many times but nothing found. Somebody help please :(:(:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX - io info get from "libperfstat" not match "iostat"

Hi, everyone. I need to write a program to get io info based on libperfstat. But the "write time" of a disk is just half of the value get from iostat. I'm confused and can't explain. Help please. How I calculate "write service time per sec": In iostat: write service... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackliang
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to enable "banner" for a user in solaris?

Password: Using keyboard-interactive authentication. Do you agree with the banner terms (y/n)?: y (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
4 Replies

4. BSD

Process stuck in "pipewr" state

Hi Experts, I am executing "svn" checkout command through my java code on a freeBSD machine. SVN checkout gets started , but when I run "top" command on my freebsd machine, I have observed that "svn" processes are stuck in "pipewr" state. Any pointer for this problem? Thanks, akash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Processes on FreeBSD are stuck in "pipewr" state

Hi Experts, I am executing "svn" checkout command through my java code on a freeBSD machine. SVN checkout gets started , but when I run "top" command on my freebsd machine, I have observed that "svn" processes are stuck in "pipewr" state. Any pointer for this problem? Thanks, akash (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akash.mahakode
0 Replies

6. AIX

"fuser -c -k /XXX/XXXXXXX" Fails and stuck on AIX 6100-05-01-1016

Hi I was wondering if anybody has come across in a failure of fuser command. We have a backup script that is: fuser -c -k /XXX/XXXXXXX sync;sync umount /XXX/XXXXXXX/ backup -0 -f /dev/rmt0.1 -u /dev/XXXXXXXlv mount /XXX/XXXXXXX/ sync;sync The script is called from crontab via an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggovotsis
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Printer Entries stuck "finished printing"

On Solaris 8, when I do a lpstat -o: I have tried cancel 140828p-16974, but the entries remain New prints to this printer and others work successfully. Can anyone suggest how to get rid of these entries. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmm
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

"service" , "process" and " daemon" ?

Friends , Anybody plz tell me what is the basic difference between "service" , "process" and " daemon" ? Waiting for kind reply .. .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

how to turn off the banner "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.2"?

how to turn off the banner "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.2"? I am using RedHat Advanced Server 4 #telnet localhost 22 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to localhost. Escape character is '^]'. SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwanathhcl
3 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question