install question

Operating Systems AIX install question
# 1  
Old 08-28-2008
install question

Hi,

I am a newbie here:

Can any one suggest me how to install a bff package to a desired location on an AIX box? I checked the man page for installp, it does not seem to have this information(Did I miss it?) for installing a package to a directory of user's choice.

Thanks for any help regarding this.
# 2  
Old 08-28-2008
Depending on what installp is supposed to do by the package creator changing the destination might be a bad idea. However in case no scripting action is involved, e.g. just plain filesets in the package you could simply use restore to extract the backup format file and move the filesets then. You won't be able to reject, uninstall, update the package with installp later though, if you treat the installation like a tarball.
# 3  
Old 09-01-2008
Thanks for your reply.

I have one more question. How do I package it in such a way on AIX, so that the destination can be changed at install time.

For example, on solaris this can be handled by one of the packaging scripts "request"

Similarly, rpm seems to have a prefix option for installing the package to a desired location on linux and on HPUX machines too, the request script can be used while installing a depot to instruct where the package should get installed.

Can this be handled on AIX?? Do we have one such packaging script which instructs the .bff file at installation time to install the package to a specific location?

-JStone.
# 4  
Old 09-01-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStone
[...]How do I package it in such a way on AIX, so that the destination can be changed at install time.[...] Similarly, rpm seems to have a prefix option for installing the package to a desired location on linux and on HPUX machines too, the request script can be used while installing a depot to instruct where the package should get installed.

Can this be handled on AIX??[...]
Yes. Simply create your package with RPM. RPM is one out of three packaging formats that are supported by AIX. Only prereq: rpm.rte must be installed (comes free with the OS and should be installed by default).

Nice source for starting building rpm packages: Maximum RPM Taking the Red Hat Package Manager to the Limit
# 5  
Old 09-01-2008
Thanks for detailing me about this. Could you also please share what is the other packaging format supported by AIX? (bff, rpm, ??)
# 6  
Old 09-01-2008
Install Shield MultiPlatform ISMP formated packages is the third.

You might find this link helpful:
pSeries and AIX Information Center
# 7  
Old 09-02-2008
Thanks for the information about the multi platform installer. If I remember correctly, InstallAnyWhere has taken its position and doing this job for creating cross platform installers.

I still wonder if there is a way to package the bff with a choice to install it to a specific directory.

Thanks for all the detailed info and for clarifying using rpm on AIX machines.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

install macbook pro fedora10 ???((<<if can install, how to install? >> ))

If may install can Tells everybody ??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kzBSD
0 Replies

2. BSD

FreeBSD Label Editor Post-install Question

Hello there, Over the past few days I have installed FreeBSD 7.1 (which i'm new at) to an external Hard Drive. When installing, I chose to partition the disk Automatically and now I'm trying to use the label editor (post-installation configuration) to name the mount points: / /usr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: septima.pars
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about install JDK on SCO Unix

I try to run java file on SCO Unix, but my Unix doesn't setup with JDK environment. I go to sun.com to download JDK for SCO Unix, but there is only JDK for HP-UNIX, is it ok for SCO Unix? If it's ok, how can I install it to my Unix after I download? If it's not ok, How can I do to run java file in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wendyz
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on install software package on Linux

Hello ALL, I am not very sure about the following two questions, I have install some packages on my Linux system, though. Q1. Should I log in as root to install a software package on a Linux system? Q2. If I log in as a common user, say 'Mike', and install a software on Mike's home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Rebuilding C++ Libraries to save Linux install (purely academic question)

The crisis is over. I am just doing postmortem on how we handled it. So this is just an exercise in academics. We have a mission critical system running on RED Hat Linux. It is a turnkey system "managed 100% by the vendor". I put this is quotes because we had an event last night that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skyybugg
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo install on HP UX 11i(basic question)

Hello folks, had a question. I was trying to install sudotool on HP -UX 11i. I downloaded gzip file from sudo site and unzipped to /tmp folder on HP box how do i install it?? do i need to run "swinstall" menu and then choose from there? THanks! karthik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
1 Replies

7. AIX

VisualAge C++ 6.0 install question

I'm trying to install this product, but smit fails miserably with a bunch of failed prerequisites. Does anyone know if a previous version of VisualAge needs to be installed prior? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tb0ne
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

acc compiler install question

Hello, New to the board. Experienced solaris admin, unexperienced HP admin. I'm trying to install the acc compiler package B3913DB off of the HP-UX 11.0 application software CD. I have the cd mounted on another system, and nfs mounted as /mnt on the HP-UX box. I don't have a whole lot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tb0ne
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo: application install question

I need to install an application on my Sun station and need root privleges to do so. I was given sudo privileges and was told to issue the following command. bash-2.03$ sudo init 0 I've read the man pages for init and understand the purpose of that command. My questions are: 1. From the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forbin24
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

easy question : how to install this file

hi, i want to add the gtk libraries into my Sun Solaris 8. So i got this file from http://www.sunfreeware.com/. glib-1.2.10-sol8-sparc-local.gz After i gzip -d it, i got the file below. glib-1.2.10-sol8-sparc-local then, what should i do ? how to continue? pls help me. thank... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: champion
1 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question