getaddrinfo error:service name not available for the specified socket type

Top Forums Programming getaddrinfo error:service name not available for the specified socket type
# 1  
Old 04-30-2010

I use Solaris 10,and I use getaddrinfo in my code,like follows:

Code:
struct addrinfo *ailist,hint;
if(argc!=2)
   err_quit("usage: ruptime hostname");
hint.ai_flags=0;
hint.ai_family=0;
hint.ai_socktype=SOCK_STREAM;
hint.ai_protocol=0;
hint.ai_addrlen=0;
hint.ai_canonname=NULL;
hint.ai_addr=NULL;
hint.ai_next=NULL;
if((err=getaddrinfo[argv[1],"ruptime",&hint,&ailist))!=0)
   err_quit("getaddrinfo error: %s",gai_strerror(err));

When I run above code,it raise following error:

Where is wrong? How to correct above code?
Thanks.
# 2  
Old 04-30-2010
What string is argv[1]? And what kind of file does it point to?
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Can't get local IP address in getaddrinfo

Hi all, I am working with SIP protocol and am using SIPp to generate SIP traffic. But the call is not going through since I get the error; 2015-02-24 14:09:39:330 1424804979.330517: Can't get local IP address in getaddrinfo, local_host='NODE-01', local_ip=''. My ifconfig output is; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

What type of error is this?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Jul 18 19:31:31 plbp1s sendmail: STARTTLS: read error=syscall error (-1), errno=104, get_error=error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0) ---------- Post updated at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous update was at 03:07 AM ---------- # cat /var/log/maillog|egrep -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Clarification - Setting socket options at the same time when socket is listening

I need clarification on whether it is okay to set socket options on a listening socket simultaneously when it is being used in an accept() call? Following is the scenario:- -- Task 1 - is executing in a loop - polling a listen socket, lets call it 'fd', (whose file descriptor is global)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake24
2 Replies

4. Programming

doing a socket connection using ssh service

Trying to establish a socket connection using ssh service - but want to use different login name for ssh than what currently logged in as - if under shell know to use ssh -l <login-name> host - however - not sure how to tell o.s. to use different login name when use connect command (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clcoh11
2 Replies

5. Programming

Error with socket operation on non-socket

Dear Experts, i am compiling my code in suse 4.1 which is compiling fine, but at runtime it is showing me for socket programming error no 88 as i searched in errno.h it is telling me socket operation on non socket, what is the meaning of this , how to deal with this error , please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vin_pll
1 Replies

6. Programming

How to set DNS lookup type for getaddrinfo()?

Hi there, I'm trying to do an MX type lookup using getaddrinfo(), but I can't work out how to change the lookup type to MX from the standard A - can anybody tell me how to do this? Thanks very much John G (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnGraham
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Socket Error

Dear All, I am facing a socket error - Connection Refused on Solaris Server 9. Here is the error message ConnectSock("<servername>", <port>, -3) failed Recently we upgraded the CC compiler to 5.8 Sun Studio and from that time i am facing this error. Previously we were using CC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: helper
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ssh error: Error reading response length from authentication socket

Hi - I am getting the error `Error reading response length from authentication socket' when I ssh from my cluster to another cluster, and then back to my cluster. It doesn't seem to affect anything, but it's just annoying that it always pops up and tends to confuse new users of the cluster. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpp6f
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Build Error: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

I'm getting the following Error: prepare_pcap.c: In function `prepare_pkts': prepare_pcap.c:127: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type prepare_pcap.c:138: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ==================================== This is the part of the relevant... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: katwala
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question